FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By fluffy123
Hey, I have a question. Are Sarracenia Purpurea sap Purpurea highly prone to root rots during the growing season? I live in NJ ( Native Range ) and they took temperatures down to the teens this Winter and single digits the year before. I wrap the sides of the pots in layers of frost fabric and burlap to insulate the roots too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
By Huntsmanshorn
fluffy123 wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 2:45 am Hey, I have a question. Are Sarracenia Purpurea sap Purpurea highly prone to root rots during the growing season?
Well, I can't speak to all Sarracenia Purpurea ssp Purpurea, but the four I have show no special inclination to root rot.
By fluffy123
Yeah, I remember I had some for years and then in the middle of the growing season, they died from root rots due to poor drainage. So I drilled holes on their pots to reduce the risk of root rot and plant loss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By ChefDean
I have a hard time with purpurea and root rot, but only in the summer. I'm assuming that the higher temps in Tennessee don't agree with them. I've lost a purp purp, a purp var venosa, and a purp hybrid.
I currently have a purp "No ID" that was a hitchhiker in MBRS moss that is doing well. But I'm keeping it in a taller pot so it's not swimming, and it's working so far.
By jkass7
This plant started as a sickly 4” potter….i saved it from its certain demise….it has been undivided and about 7 years old…it is in a pot with holes within an outer watertight pot…never without water…and it grows and grows…now in an 18” pot…Latitude: 49.503379 N
Longitude: -124.642W…I thought I read somewhere that the plant uses the dead pitchers as a food source as they decay ….i have not touched mine …and in the pic that other plant is a very aggressive type of swampgrass…..but they do well together so far…I think I might have to upgrade to a an enamel bathtub !
Attachments:
IMG_1446.jpeg
IMG_1446.jpeg (2.24 MiB) Viewed 612 times
Jedikinigit liked this
By steve booth
In the UK, zone 8B ish, and in my experience, the only time they get root rot is when they are left either totally or nearly totally inundated for too long, in nonaerated water . They do love deep water more than a lot of Sarracenia and over here Purp ssp purp proves to be nearly bulletproof, but we don't get the same sort of high temperatures that you can get over there.

Cheers
Steve
Rain

Predicting up to 1-3” of rain from now(Fri 7[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

They arrived today! YAY! will get them planted out[…]

Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

I'd heard rumors around the forums that TJ's has s[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, Just wanted to see some photos of your Di[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!