FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions on how to propagate your plants sexually and asexually, by seed, natural division or leaf pulling

Moderator: Matt

By andynorth
So I have read that when self pollinating sarrs you end up with smaller seeds and therefore smaller plants, etc. This is a pic of my flowering Sarracenia alabamensis ssp. alabamensis that I purchased from Matt back in January. It certainly appears smaller than my other plants buds. However, I do have others that are around this same size. Is this possibly a result of self pollination or could it be that it is still just young?
Attachments:
20240502_1555541.jpg
20240502_1555541.jpg (1.03 MiB) Viewed 318 times
By ChefDean
With nothing for comparison, it's difficult to tell how big it is.
So, how big is it?
Also, you're on to something that it's young, but moreso that it just got uprooted, mailed, and repotted a few months ago. Even though it was likely dormant, it'll still have some stresses.
As to it being similar to others, remember that not all Sarrs are the same size, and those differences can also be shown in the flower size. I have a rubra and a cross that both have flowers about 8.5 inches tall, and my leuco AJ01 I got from Matt this year has a stalk that is almost 24 inches tall.
By andynorth
OK. Hopefully I can get some some seed to plant and send to seed bank.
Next question. Since I have paperwork on this plant, would copies need to be sent along with seeds and/or any plants produced from it?
By ChefDean
Seeds, gray area. Plants, if shipping across state lines and they're paying for the plant or shipping, you'd probably need your own paperwork/authorization, not the one used to send it to you.If you're gifting it, they pay nothing, then no.
andynorth liked this

If you have only done it once and you will be flus[…]

Tap water

Peat and perlite is the mix i used hope its good ([…]

Can vft survive windy days?

Ok thanks. I will try not to create a venus Flying[…]

Plant Mail

Let’s make these plants look their best ;)

Hi!

Welcome! Check out the care info at https://www.[…]

Feeding fish food to CP’s?

Not sure about your foods but i use "tetra be[…]

Our Postal Workers Hard At It

Or, they're just nuts. I'm gonna go with this […]

It is a possibility. However, you might do more ha[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!