FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By kronos1996
So to make a long story short, I used to have a decent sized collection of VFT’s back in high school/college. However, in 2019 I enlisted in the Air Force and was gone for a year. Sadly my family wasn’t able to keep them alive and I lost everything. Including some rare cultivars from group orders to the EU.

It’s been a chaotic few years but I’m looking to restart my collection now. I’m currently in the planning phase, selected a pot type but still debating LFS vs Peat/Silica. It’s very hot in Atlanta so I will be using shallow watering trays with 12x12x12 white square pots.

Now to my actual question, which cultivars do y’all recommend? Many of them are similar too each other so in some cases I’m trying to narrow it down to the best of several similar cultivars. I’d appreciate any advice y’all can give on the following list I’ve made:

? = Undecided
/ = Which of these similar cultivars is best?
* = Someday when I’m less poor
Everything else I’m 99% sure I want.

Green
- Grun

Red
- Maroon Monster
- Akai Ryu/Royal Red
- Diablo Rouge
- Crimson Sawtooth
- Archangel
- Pink Venus/Purple Haze
- Red Shark Teeth/Red Piranha/Gold Strike
- Bohemian Garnet/Petite Dragon/Scarlet Bristle
- Incredible Red Hulk*
- Tiny Red Terror*
- All Red Giant*
- All Red Werewolf*
- DC All Red*

Short Teeth
- Jaws
- Whale
- Microdent
- Lunatic Fringe
- Flaming Lips
- Coquillage
- BZ Razorback
- Bristletooth
- SL Seedling?
- Giant Clam*
- Carboni Ardenti*

Upright
- Pinnacle/Towering Giant/Long Snapper
- Spider/Creeping Death/Slim Snapper

Prostrate
- Low Giant/Big Mouth/Wally

Giant
- DC-XL
- Big Vigorous
- SD Kronos?
- G16?

Unique
- Korean Melody Shark
- Long Red Fingers
- Louchapates
- Alien
- Phalanx
- Cupped Trap
- Mirror
- Wacky Traps
- Trichterfalle
- Purple Ambush
- Booman’s Mutant?
- Draco?
- Dracula?
- Triton?
- Bullseye/Candy Cane*

As you can see, I’m trying to cover all the major types of coloration and growth. Love red/colorful VFT’s the most but not that into standard, giant or extreme mutants that are difficult to grow.

- Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By Greenleaf_999
Dang, you didn’t get a reply. Welcome back and thank you. I enjoyed my b52 it had some deep maroon colors indoors and got massive and it lost most of the pigmentation in the traps when the traps got larger in late summer. Pinnacle is another tall giant, it gets deep red in its dormant period, and upright large traps with unique streaks and colors in the traps, mine had a mixture of pink and orange. Another I enjoyed was the dc xl it gets massive and tall. Similar to the other two cultivars I’ve mentioned above, it’s more like an upright b52 with a little less color, and the traps have exceeded the b52 around late spring, early summer. the dc xl was my yellow jacket slinger, meaning it caught larger and smaller insects and was very effective and quick, it was the king of the castle for sure. Akai ryu becomes a pain whenever it wants to, I’ve never understood fully red cultivars because they always seem to get pests or die first. Another good cultivar is the big tomato cultivar, it has amazingly over sized traps on thin leaves and some striking colors, it reminds me of the wip slim snapper but on steroids in some ways. And another cultivar I would recommend is sd Kronos, it is a very neat and well dividing cultivar. It has nice colors similar to dc xl in good indoor lighting, it stays in a neat cluster most of the time. It is a good indoor fly trap for me because it is a fairly quick grower and it catches loose flies every time I would spot one then there would be no more by the end of the day when the lights would turn off. Those are some good start over plants.

- also it’s amazing that you went into the Air Force, I’m planning on either going into the marines or the navy. I love the water and I am pretty hard up with any work I get my hands on. I would be more than willing to serve my country. I have family that have served and became really popular in the military. They are all in our family memories inside of a locked safe. The book is so old and was falling apart when I went to see it back in 2009.

Happy valentines and happy growing.

By Greenleaf_999
Greenleaf_999 wrote:Dang, you didn’t get a reply. Welcome back and thank you. I enjoyed my b52 it had some deep maroon colors indoors and got massive and it lost most of the pigmentation in the traps when the traps got larger in late summer. Pinnacle is another tall giant, it gets deep red in its dormant period, and upright large traps with unique streaks and colors in the traps, mine had a mixture of pink and orange. Another I enjoyed was the dc xl it gets massive and tall. Similar to the other two cultivars I’ve mentioned above, it’s more like an upright b52 with a little less color, and the traps have exceeded the b52 around late spring, early summer. the dc xl was my yellow jacket slinger, meaning it caught larger and smaller insects and was very effective and quick, it was the king of the castle for sure. Akai ryu becomes a pain whenever it wants to, I’ve never understood fully red cultivars because they always seem to get pests or die first. Another good cultivar is the big tomato cultivar, it has amazingly over sized traps on thin leaves and some striking colors, it reminds me of the wip slim snapper but on steroids in some ways. And another cultivar I would recommend is sd Kronos, it is a very neat and well dividing cultivar. It has nice colors similar to dc xl in good indoor lighting, it stays in a neat cluster most of the time. It is a good indoor fly trap for me because it is a fairly quick grower and it catches loose flies every time I would spot one then there would be no more by the end of the day when the lights would turn off. Those are some good start over plants.

- also it’s amazing that you went into the Air Force, I’m planning on either going into the marines or the navy. I love the water and I am pretty hard up with any work I get my hands on. I would be more than willing to serve my country. I have family that have served and became really popular in the military. They are all in our family memories inside of a locked safe. The book is so old and was falling apart when I went to see it back in 2009.

Big vigorous is very nice too, quick and has large clusters. They always need a lot of maintenance in the spring. They have nice coloration as well.

By kronos1996
Greenleaf_999 wrote:Dang, you didn’t get a reply. Welcome back and thank you. I enjoyed my b52 it had some deep maroon colors indoors and got massive and it lost most of the pigmentation in the traps when the traps got larger in late summer. Pinnacle is another tall giant, it gets deep red in its dormant period, and upright large traps with unique streaks and colors in the traps, mine had a mixture of pink and orange. Another I enjoyed was the dc xl it gets massive and tall. Similar to the other two cultivars I’ve mentioned above, it’s more like an upright b52 with a little less color, and the traps have exceeded the b52 around late spring, early summer. the dc xl was my yellow jacket slinger, meaning it caught larger and smaller insects and was very effective and quick, it was the king of the castle for sure. Akai ryu becomes a pain whenever it wants to, I’ve never understood fully red cultivars because they always seem to get pests or die first. Another good cultivar is the big tomato cultivar, it has amazingly over sized traps on thin leaves and some striking colors, it reminds me of the wip slim snapper but on steroids in some ways. And another cultivar I would recommend is sd Kronos, it is a very neat and well dividing cultivar. It has nice colors similar to dc xl in good indoor lighting, it stays in a neat cluster most of the time. It is a good indoor fly trap for me because it is a fairly quick grower and it catches loose flies every time I would spot one then there would be no more by the end of the day when the lights would turn off. Those are some good start over plants.

Thanks for the reply! I forgot about this. Haha

So I started over with a very sensible selection of ~50 cultivars. Image Almost anything I could get my hands on. But space is limited so I’ll be evaluating carefully which ones are worth keeping around.

Yeah Navy would be a good choice, I did 6 years in the Air Force Reserves and now I work at Delta making great money. If you choose to enlist, make sure you pick a job that’ll give you useful skills on the outside. Air Force and Navy have the most high tech jobs available by far and would be my recommendation. Yes you will have education benefits but that still means you have to spend years in school to get a good civilian job. On the other hand, something related to maintenance, cyber security or intelligence can net you a good job with a lot less time/effort. Good luck!

By Greenleaf_999
kronos1996 wrote:

Thanks for the reply! I forgot about this. Haha

So I started over with a very sensible selection of ~50 cultivars. Image Almost anything I could get my hands on. But space is limited so I’ll be evaluating carefully which ones are worth keeping around.

Yeah Navy would be a good choice, I did 6 years in the Air Force Reserves and now I work at Delta making great money. If you choose to enlist, make sure you pick a job that’ll give you useful skills on the outside. Air Force and Navy have the most high tech jobs available by far and would be my recommendation. Yes you will have education benefits but that still means you have to spend years in school to get a good civilian job. On the other hand, something related to maintenance, cyber security or intelligence can net you a good job with a lot less time/effort. Good luck!

Thank you! I will look into other jobs once I am out of course. I am hoping that if I am ever deployed for whatever reason there may be, that I could get as much in the force and have a nice check that I could live off of in a smaller house. Thank you for the reply.

Rain

Predicting up to 1-3” of rain from now(Fri 7[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

They arrived today! YAY! will get them planted out[…]

Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

I'd heard rumors around the forums that TJ's has s[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, Just wanted to see some photos of your Di[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!