FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Minora
I have had my traps for about six months now and since we are going into the fall season, I'm a little confused. This is my first time owning a venus fly trap and for all of summer it was perfectly fine! For some reason now, it has developed these red stripes, almost holes in the leaves and traps. It started slowly and then moved on to the other traps in the pot. I've scoured the internet and can't find any pictures remotely like it. Seeing as venus fly traps die fast, I'm extremely worried
Attachments:
20221009_150320.jpg
20221009_150320.jpg (4 MiB) Viewed 2506 times
20221009_150330.jpg
20221009_150330.jpg (2 MiB) Viewed 2506 times
By ChefDean
Venus flytraps do not die fast if properly taken care of. What you have are classic signs of spider mites. You'll want to begin treatment with a strong miticide to stop them in their tracks now. They (spider mites) overwinter in the media, so they won't die during dormancy, and will need to be eradicated with a chemical attack.
Minora liked this
By -Stanley-
ChefDean wrote:Venus flytraps do not die fast if properly taken care of. What you have are classic signs of spider mites. You'll want to begin treatment with a strong miticide to stop them in their tracks now. They (spider mites) overwinter in the media, so they won't die during dormancy, and will need to be eradicated with a chemical attack.
Are you sure? My DC XL had that, then I moved it inside and it went away. I have a feeling the sun just lazered the leaves for mine.
By ChefDean
-Stanley- wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 2:54 am But can it also happen because the leaf was lazered by the sun? Can a Vft leaf get lazered by the sun?
Yes, it can. If the light gets refracted through swamp gas that is reflected from Venus, creating a hyperbole of an enthusiastic semantic satiation for what you perceive to be a possibility of an outcome.
In reality though, it's probably going to be spider mites, and you should treat for those.
By jetfire245
ChefDean wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 3:09 am
-Stanley- wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 2:54 am But can it also happen because the leaf was lazered by the sun? Can a Vft leaf get lazered by the sun?
Yes, it can. If the light gets refracted through swamp gas that is reflected from Venus, creating a hyperbole of an enthusiastic semantic satiation for what you perceive to be a possibility of an outcome.
In reality though, it's probably going to be spider mites, and you should treat for those.
Oh Dean. You and your words.

Must say, spidermites were the first thing I was thinking as well. Hate them so much.... Still really need to stock up on miticide. I only have the bayer bioadvanced stuff which works but I'm not a big fan of overusing one pesticide.
-Stanley- liked this
By -Stanley-
ChefDean wrote:
I got lost after the first sentence.
By ChefDean
jetfire245 wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 3:25 amI only have the bayer bioadvanced stuff which works but I'm not a big fan of overusing one pesticide.
Bioadvanced 3 in 1 is good for just about everything other than spider mites. You'll want a better one for those.
By ChefDean
-Stanley- wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 3:26 am
ChefDean wrote:
I got lost after the first sentence.
As I have iterated on multiple occasions, I live on the Southern end of the Bourbon Trail. And, while I do enjoy the indulgence of that at least 51% corn based distilled spirit, I don't mess around when it comes to spider mites.
Hit those eight-legged freaks with chemicals!
By Minora
ChefDean wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 1:55 am Venus flytraps do not die fast if properly taken care of. What you have are classic signs of spider mites. You'll want to begin treatment with a strong miticide to stop them in their tracks now. They (spider mites) overwinter in the media, so they won't die during dormancy, and will need to be eradicated with a chemical attack.
Thanks so much for the advice! Do you have any recommendations regarding what kind of miticide I should use and how often? (ex: if it should be diluted, sprayed, once, twice a day for how many days etc.)?
By Minora
Also, I do believe it is spider mites. I had my suspicions but I wanted to be absolutely sure. I noticed webbings on my plant, and have been extremely concerned about this. It's been going on for about a week I think, but I wanted to find my own answers via research before posting. (As I mentioned before, I couldn't find any answers.) Is there any way I can prevent this from happening in the future and what else should I be on the lookout for going into winter?
By ChefDean
Minora wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 5:04 amThanks so much for the advice! Do you have any recommendations regarding what kind of miticide I should use and how often? (ex: if it should be diluted, sprayed, once, twice a day for how many days etc.)?
I use Avid, but it's expensive, so I order some from the flytrapstore.com. You'll get enough for five gallons per order, just mix 1/4 tsp with a gallon of distilled water.
Wear gloves when applying, and spray the plant to wet the surface, making sure to get down in the crown and underneath the leaves. Spray once or twice a week for four to six weeks to get the adults present the first time, any that were able to avoid the spray, and any that hatch out during the treatment. Depending on temperature, eggs can take up to two and a half weeks to hatch, so keep up the treatment for at least four weeks.
As to prevention, good luck. These plants need to be outside for easiest and best long term health, and spider mites can literally travel on the wind. They will blow in pretty much whether you like it or not. You could order some predatory mites online that will hunt down the spider mites. But if they run out of food, they'll likely move on. Some will probably stick around, eating whatever they can and still be able to deter a re infestation, but I'm not 100% sure on that.
Rain

Predicting up to 1-3” of rain from now(Fri 7[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

They arrived today! YAY! will get them planted out[…]

Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

I'd heard rumors around the forums that TJ's has s[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, Just wanted to see some photos of your Di[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!