FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By owkenny
1) i have a dunecraft terrarium which is hopefully growing my VFTs and i was wondering if there was anything i could plant with them to make it look nicer basically. I want to plant something else that wont harm my VFTs and will grow in the same conditions. My VFTs are first priority though.

The terrarium is about 8 inches wide so I shouldnt have to worry about getting in the way (the box it came in came with other carnivirous plants but those arent ready to plant yet). I want something nice looking so my terrarium doesnt look like a bucket of damp soil and Im getting impatient with my VFTs. Ill take anything, flowers, herbs, whatever. Just as long as it'll grow in the same conditions and wont be too much hassle.

2) Once the VFTs do geriminate and start getting green, I want to remove the top thing on the terrarium. It is indoors so the sun shouldnt shock them too much but whats the safest way to go from in the terrarium to just basically being potted. I'll probably leave them in the bottom thing so i dont have to worry about soil transplanting or anything (unless you think i should...).
By Steve_D
owkenny wrote:1) i have a dunecraft terrarium which is hopefully growing my VFTs and i was wondering if there was anything i could plant with them to make it look nicer basically. I want to plant something else that wont harm my VFTs and will grow in the same conditions. My VFTs are first priority though.
Venus Flytraps grow much better outside of terrariums, with plenty of fresh air and sunlight, unless and only unless you want to grow them strictly under grow lights with little or no sun at all. Even under grow lights they grow fine (usually better, I'd guess) in just regular pots instead of terrariums.
owkenny wrote:The terrarium is about 8 inches wide so I shouldnt have to worry about getting in the way (the box it came in came with other carnivirous plants but those arent ready to plant yet). I want something nice looking so my terrarium doesnt look like a bucket of damp soil and Im getting impatient with my VFTs. Ill take anything, flowers, herbs, whatever. Just as long as it'll grow in the same conditions and wont be too much hassle.
If all you received with the terrarium is seeds, you are in for a long, very impatient wait. It can take several years (because of having to grow in almost nutritionless soil) for a carnivorous plant to grow from almost microscopic to barely visible to teensy-weensy to tiny to very, very small to-- well, hopefully you see what I'm trying to say. :) It might be better for you to buy some adult or near-adult plants and grow them in regular plastic pots instead of trying to grow from seed, especially if this is a new interest of yours. At the very least, you should consider buying a fully grown Venus Flytrap to distract you and to "play with" while your seeds take 3-4 years to get to the same size. :)
By NZL
Steve_D wrote: At the very least, you should consider buying a fully grown Venus Flytrap to distract you and to "play with" while your seeds take 3-4 years to get to the same size. :)
Unless you wanna get into tissue culture :P

I love seeing collections of carnivorous plants di[…]

Greatly appreciated as always. I've got a bunch o[…]

New donation, new location

https://y.yarn.co/f63d46fb-cb24-47ea-92a7-c1aeae3[…]

Please and thank you!

Argh! We have a run-off! For the next 24 hours, vo[…]

https://i.imgur.com/96fbvFf.jpeg

New donation

I'd like to thank ChelleB1005 for her latest donat[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1654. I'll PM[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!