FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Pinguicula care here

Moderator: Matt

By sweetsmuckers
Hey guys. I just bought this Ping from Lowe's today. It was the only healthy looking one out of the bunch. Can anyone tell me if this ping will survive? As soon as I got home I gave it some water from the bottom of the pot (just enough to moisten the soil its in) and I used reverse osmosis water. Any reply would be appreciated :-)

By sweetsmuckers
Dionae wrote:I dont know a thing about pings but it looks okay. Congrats on your purchase! Lowes seems to be stepping up their variety in the CP dept.
They sure are. I have also re-potted the ping and when I did, to my surprise, I got two pings! One was a baby ping though but otherwise healthy so I was happy about that. :D
sweetsmuckers liked this
By sweetsmuckers
Re-potted Ping.

I used an old plastic bbq dinner tub that I bought from the store. I improvised by putting some hole on the bottom and I also found one of my collapsible bowl that the tub fits perfectly so that it can suck up some water. I had to cut off the flower because it really was a bout to fall off anyway. I used 1:Sphagnum peat moss and 1:Perlite. And that baby Ping on the right is the surprise I found when I was re-potting :-D The picture was taken with my Droid X by the way :-D
By Grey
Congratulations on your new Pinguicula! The plant looks in pretty good condition; I think a little more light will do it the world of good! Judging from the flowers I would say you have a temperate Pinguicula (mine survive wonderfully in the same conditions as my venus fly traps; moist, not wet and lots of sun).

As for species, if you aren't sure I'd guess it's a Pinguicula Primuflora. I could be wrong, but those are the typical flowers of the P. Primfulora.

Best of luck with it! Pings are my favourite carnivorous plant!
Grey liked this
By sweetsmuckers
Grey wrote:Congratulations on your new Pinguicula! The plant looks in pretty good condition; I think a little more light will do it the world of good! Judging from the flowers I would say you have a temperate Pinguicula (mine survive wonderfully in the same conditions as my venus fly traps; moist, not wet and lots of sun).

As for species, if you aren't sure I'd guess it's a Pinguicula Primuflora. I could be wrong, but those are the typical flowers of the P. Primfulora.

Best of luck with it! Pings are my favourite carnivorous plant!
It has been cloudy the past few days here in AZ but it'll get sunny again. I know it just needs a little heating and it will all be happy. Can i use my regular desk lamp just momentarily to give it some heat? I know about the T5s and stuff but I really dont need them because AZ has plenty of sun all year round (except today).
By Grey
If it's on a bright windowsill I wouldn't worry about giving it extra heat. You can try it of course but you may find the lamp burns the tender leaves; I'd just recommend keeping it somewhere naturally warm instead of artifically heating it, even if it is above a radiator (but not sat on it). Sudden temperature changes can cause set backs in plant growth as it can put the plant into shock.

I hope the sun shines for you soon.
Grey liked this
By sweetsmuckers
Grey wrote:If it's on a bright windowsill I wouldn't worry about giving it extra heat. You can try it of course but you may find the lamp burns the tender leaves; I'd just recommend keeping it somewhere naturally warm instead of artifically heating it, even if it is above a radiator (but not sat on it). Sudden temperature changes can cause set backs in plant growth as it can put the plant into shock.

I hope the sun shines for you soon.

I hope so too. But I am sure it will love the humidity we will get today :D
By victor
Congrats on your brand new butterwort. Make sure you give it much more sun
because they look like they didn't get any sun while being trapped in Lowes.
victor liked this
Is this a steal?

That larger one is quite nice for that price, yes,[…]

Is This What To Look For?

I have decided since my first attempt worked out s[…]

Hello from Arkansas!

Welcome man!

I dont know if this is too much but can you also a[…]

Hello, I would like to request D. capensis "[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1666. I'll PM[…]

New cultivar potential?

This plant always has something in its mouth :rol[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!