FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By dionaea muscipula
I have been noticing a lot of cockroaches inside my nepenthes' pitchers, and i was wondering if that is healthy for the plant.
By dimitar
I don't see problems. They are quite hard and it will take time to break down all the roaches if they aren't too large. I hope that your plant is big enough to cope with them. Not all, but most of them. There are many wasps, roaches in my pitchers and occasionally - snails and this isn't damaging for my plants . I've noticed that those pitchers which eat faster than others, die in which there's nothing or little insects but of course at each plant is different.
By Hayden
I leave mine next to a pool of mosquito larvae ;)
By snapperhead51
dionaea muscipula wrote:I have been noticing a lot of cockroaches inside my nepenthes' pitchers, and i was wondering if that is healthy for the plant.
Hi D M they are fine in there ,as long as the water does not go fowl keep the water up to the pitcher so it stops it from getting rotten in there , your pitcher will last much longer this way
J
snapperhead51 liked this
By dionaea muscipula
snapperhead51 wrote:
dionaea muscipula wrote:I have been noticing a lot of cockroaches inside my nepenthes' pitchers, and i was wondering if that is healthy for the plant.
Hi D M they are fine in there ,as long as the water does not go fowl keep the water up to the pitcher so it stops it from getting rotten in there , your pitcher will last much longer this way
J
well its my N.raffensiana that is catching most of the roaches, how much should i fill the pitchers with water?

Thanks
By snapperhead51
D M
when I was in Bako Park last , not far from Kuching in Sarawak Borneo where there are huge amount of Raffs all round the park , I took vid of them none of the pitchers had any discoloured water in them at all, and because of the high rain fall on the higher flat top of the plateau,there pitchers were all full of water and probably only not full in the dry season ,but still at least half full as they still get more rain in the dry then we do !! so with that in mind I can only suggest that you keep putting in fresh water in to the pitcher if it starts to get fowled water .I do with mine and the pitchers are all way fresh and last a very long time , I can only go on my experiences
J
snapperhead51 liked this

Will go out in the mail tomorrow. :D

New to carnivorous plants!

Have you seen these? https://www.flytrapcare.com/ […]

Very first mini-bog! :D

VFT nice catch

Those crane flies are a pain. Contrary to popular […]

Nepenthes cold shock?

I have left ventrata cuttings outside till the nig[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1672. I'll PM[…]

Hello again from Florida

Welcome

Weird Pitchers, advice?

the black absorbs the full spectrum of light makin[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!