FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By Mark
Hello all,
A few weeks ago I removed my plant from a terrarium, whiched caused a large amount of mold to develop on it.
Now the plant is not flourishing. I'm watering it everyday and giving it a lot of Colorado sun.
There are lots of new grow, but they are to small to feed.
I've included a picture that should help.
Any suggestions???
Attachments:
New Image.JPG
New Image.JPG (31.91 KiB) Viewed 2361 times
By Steve_D
Mark wrote:Hello all,
A few weeks ago I removed my plant from a terrarium, whiched caused a large amount of mold to develop on it.
Now the plant is not flourishing. I'm watering it everyday and giving it a lot of Colorado sun.
There are lots of new grow, but they are to small to feed.
I've included a picture that should help.
Any suggestions???
It's OK if the new growth has small traps. Good healthy green leaf surface and lots of sunlight will help it build up its strength again, at this point. Don't keep the medium too soggy all the time. Aim for moist, not saturated.

It's good that you cut the flower stalk off, to save it that expense of energy and stored food reserve, and it's good you took it out of the terrarium (they are unnecessary anyway).

If it were my plant, I would give it plenty of sun and fresh, moving air (not wind, just normal fresh air that naturally has movement, unlike air in a terrarium), and I would water it carefully for a while and make sure it dries out some between waterings to avoid root and "bulb" rot. It should recover just fine. It has all growing season to recover. :)

I would also consider repotting it in a month or two, after it recovers and builds up its strength, into a potting mixture that has plenty of air. I use (as I have mentioned often here at FlytrapCare.com) 50% sphagnum peat moss, 30% silica sand (only sand composed almost entirely of silicon dioxide, quartz), and 20% perlite. 50% sphagnum peat moss and 50% perlite also works well, if you can't find the sand or don't know whether to tell if it's "silica sand" or not.

Don't worry too much about the humidity. Venus Flytraps adapt to low humidity easily if given just a little time. Mine all live in an almost desert.

Steve
By hackerberry
Hello,

Foliar feeding will help big time. It should also encourage to offshoot.

hb
By Aging_Bourbon
Before you give it sun you should get it use to sunlight and the ambient humidity if you just change it's climate so rapidly it's gonna shock it and the leaves might get sun burn.
Yellowish leaves on N. ventrata

My 'Mimis Kiss' is finally growing pitchers again[…]

Hello , I can help with the Drosera if you are sti[…]

First flower stalk on VFT

I might let the biggest flower stalk flower but c[…]

Hello from Arkansas!

Hi! I live in Arkansas at this moment, but I tran[…]

I repotted some of the vft's from the flower stal[…]

Is this a steal?

The first one is a Nepenthes x 'Ventrata' like Pan[…]

...and now you know better how to plan. ;)

My two go to choices are https://www.greenhouseme[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!