FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By dvg
Hi y'all,

I received this N. albomarginata red, back in November of last year from CZ Plants. This plant is growing in a five inch pot.

At first the pitchers didn't make the white collars that this plant is known for. But as larger pitchers were made, the white collar became more prominent on each successive pitcher.

This is an easy and worthwhile plant to grow that does quite well in intermediate conditions. :)

dvg
By kittyklaws
Beautiful pitchers! Congrats :D
By corky
lovely looking plant,is it in high light to get the colours so vibrant,i have a burbridgea its leaves were as red as them so for an experiment i gave it less light,it made a big difference,the leaves stayed greener and pitchers had alot less red in them,do not know which i prefer,but yours looks really cool,is it a lowland?
Last edited by corky on Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By kaepora gaebora
isnt that white strip supposed to lure termites to the pitcher? I think i read that in the book growing carnivorous plants.
By Hayden
Brilliant and healthy looking plant! I dont really have room for one of them, and im out alot so wouldnt be without a watering tray!
By bombsboy
kaepora gaebora wrote:isnt that white strip supposed to lure termites to the pitcher? I think i read that in the book growing carnivorous plants.
yes it is
By dvg
Thanks for the comments,

This is considered a lowland plant but grows under lights in my basement in intermediate conditions. It isn't under high level lighting and actually sits off to the side of any direct fluorescent lighting.

The white collar is made up of edible trichomes, that termites apparently love to munch on. However, the odd clumsy termite does manage to stumble over the edge of some of these peristomes and drop down into the pitchers, making this a win/win feeding proposition for both species.

dvg
Hello from Arkansas!

Welcome

Hello, I would like to request D. capensis "[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1666. I'll PM[…]

New cultivar potential?

This plant always has something in its mouth :rol[…]

Black tips on drosera regia

It's probably nothing, as the whole plant seems to[…]

Yellowish leaves on N. ventrata

My 'Mimis Kiss' is finally growing pitchers again[…]

Hello , I can help with the Drosera if you are sti[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!