FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By ShawnG
I have a few questions about my VFT and i've looked around the site a bit but i still don't know what i'm doing. Ha But anyways.

1. I got my plant for lows and it came in a clear plastic container and the plant itself came in a green one. So should i keep it in the clear one or just take it out.

2. The green container it's in is kinda' small should i transplant it into something a little bigger?

3. I fed one of the traps a couple days ago and it turned black and started to smell. So i cut it off. Was this smart?

4. It's starting to look a little dry and some of the traps are turning brown, Is this normal this time of year?

I'm sure i'll come up with a couple more questions later and i'll try to get some pictures up. Anything would help right now. Thanks :]
By Matt
Hello Shawn and welcome to flytrapcare! Let me see if I can give you some answers:
ShawnG wrote:1. I got my plant for lows and it came in a clear plastic container and the plant itself came in a green one. So should i keep it in the clear one or just take it out.
You can take the plant out of the clear humidity dome. If you just take it off all at once, your plant will likely lose some or all of it's leaves though, but they'll come back pretty quickly. If you gradually take it off over the course of a few days, it will shock the plant less.
ShawnG wrote:2. The green container it's in is kinda' small should i transplant it into something a little bigger?
VFTs can grow in quite small pots. They are definitely healthier in deeper pots where their roots have room to grow, but I have a bunch of plants in 2 inch pots and they do great.
ShawnG wrote:3. I fed one of the traps a couple days ago and it turned black and started to smell. So i cut it off. Was this smart?
Feel free to cut off dead traps. That's fine.
ShawnG wrote:4. It's starting to look a little dry and some of the traps are turning brown, Is this normal this time of year?
That's not normal this time of year, but any time you change the growing conditions for a plant, it's going to go into shock. That's probably what you are seeing.

However, what kind of water are you using to water it? Be sure to only use distilled water or rain water. Tap water can eventually kill the plant. Also, how much sun are you giving it? For optimal health VFTs need at least 4 hours of direct sunlight a day.

Hope this helps!
By Devon
that trap that you fed might of turned black because the bug might have been to big, or like matt said, it's probobly in shock.

That sounds amazing thank you! I don’t get m[…]

I was checking my plants before leaving for work[…]

Please and thank you! Appreciate it! :mrgreen:

Thank you! Sent from my SM-A536U1 using Tapatalk […]

Darkened leaves

It is a combination of too much water, and also […]

andynorth's Grow/want list

It's been a bit since I have added anything new to[…]

Spagnum moss turning green

Looks like algae, and that is normal.

SASE put in mail!

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!