FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss non-carnivorous plants here

Moderator: Matt

By doku
Does anyone have experience growing either of these two fruits? Right now i have about 100 seedlings of the goji berry. Im going to transplant pretty soon, but i was just trying to see if anyone can shed some light on the best medium, lighting, etc.. All the websites i have visited on goji berry say that they are still experimenting with goji berry growing conditions, so im not sure how to best grow them. The last batch of seedlings from last year all dried up on me. idk if they were hit by a disease or if the soil i used was no good. The soil i used drained a little too well. Same with the dragon fruit. My plants from last year all either dried up or rotted. I have quite a few seeds left for this one and was hoping that next time i tried growing them i would have better luck.
By lemonlily
I haven't grown them before, but maybe you can keep the soil moist and not too dry or wet. I sometimes uproot my plants to check how wet the bottom is. It's usually very wet so I mix in some dry soil. I don't know if that's wrong to do, but it doesn't hurt or change my plants.
By doku
Indeed. What i was asking for was a good soil mix. The best type for these kind of plants. I didnt ask my questions properly. lol. Sorry I am going to experiment anyway, but i would like to know some soil mixes that work just so that i know some of the plants will make it.
By lemonlily
Oh... Oops, I didn't answer correctly. :lol:

Try cactus mix. Someone told me dragon fruit is a cactus or something. Whoever told me, make it clear! I don't remember the facts... :oops:
By doku
lol, dont worry about it. thank you for responding though. I probably should try cactus mix. dragon fruit is a cactus, but ive never really tried a cactus mix, lol. i should be embarrassed. Oh well, i'll try different mixes and see how it goes. Thank you lemonlily.
By lemonlily
You're welcome. I was thinking cactus mix would be good because the cactus mix is for cacti after all. And it should probably be what you want or need. I'm not sure what else would be good though.
By AmyJane
I have grown about 20 dragon fruit cacti from seed directly from the fruit, in multipurpose compost on a windowsill. the longest is about 12 inches. Ill add some pics soon for you :)
By AmyJane
I've been growing them for 2 years also :) No flowering yet :( When i repot Ill most likely use cactus compost
By kittyklaws
Oooh I love goji berries! :D They're so tasty, and the real bonus is that they're filled with antioxidants!
I heard that goji berries do best in soil with organic material like compost mixed with a bit of sand to allow for just-right drainage.
Also needed is lots of full sunlight at least 8 hrs, they should be started insidefor the 1st six months, and will not produce berries until after the first 2 years. The shrubs should be regularly pruned for a higher yield. They withstand cold pretty well. Forgot to mention, take care not to over-water.
Good luck! :D
*******EDIT********
OH SNAP! I just noticed that this is a reallyreally old post, :oops: sorry....my bad, if your question was already answered decades ago....how are those plants doing by the way?
New to carnivorous plants!

I have two little pots (the ones they came from L[…]

Will go out in the mail tomorrow. :D

Very first mini-bog! :D

VFT nice catch

Those crane flies are a pain. Contrary to popular […]

Nepenthes cold shock?

I have left ventrata cuttings outside till the nig[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1672. I'll PM[…]

Hello again from Florida

Welcome

Weird Pitchers, advice?

the black absorbs the full spectrum of light makin[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!