FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By pawbdotcom
hello!! im a new venus fly trap owner.. i plan on keeping my plants outside in a pot during the sunny days and heat, and inside in a pot during the night and bad weather.. is this safe for the plant? i dont want to cause shock to it by moving its pot around or anything.
By Panman
No, this is a bad idea. Moving it like that will cause stress in the plant and ultimately kill. Keep it outdoors where it will get at least 4 hours of direct sunlight.

I suggest reading the care instructions at Flytrapcare.com
andynorth, tommyr liked this
By Fishkeeper
Venus flytraps are native to the Eastern side of the US, specifically North Carolina. They do just fine in the cold, and they absolutely do fine in the night. It'll go dormant in the winter to avoid the cold, then wake up in the spring.
Unless you're expecting a freeze that will last several days, without thawing during the day, leave it outside.
By pawbdotcom
i want to keep them inside because i live in michigan, and i feel like im able to control the temperature much easier ? i dont want cold nights to shock them, but i dont know if its a bad idea to just keep them inside permanently.
By ChefDean
Until it gets down to below freezing, leave them outside. The shifting temps won't affect them unless they experience multiple freeze/thaw cycles. For dormancy, a cool, dark area inside would be OK until spring, but during the growing season they won't get enough light inside without powerful growlights, and will slowly die.
pawbdotcom wrote:i want to keep them inside because i live in michigan, and i feel like im able to control the temperature much easier ?
Many people successfully grow VFT's outside in Michigan without controlling the temperature. They experience extreme heat and cold in the wild, so you're overthinking it/creating a lot of extra work for yourself. They're more susceptible to damaging freezing in a pot (the soil and groundwater insulate the rhizome in situ), so protecting them from a Michigan winter is all you need to do.
pawbdotcom wrote:i dont want cold nights to shock them,
They won't unless you're talking a ~50°F temperature swing
pawbdotcom wrote:but i dont know if its a bad idea to just keep them inside permanently.
Keeping them inside permanently can be done, but it requires a lot of somewhat pricey equipment and not a small increase in your electric bill.
The sun is free, and they've evolved to need hours of direct sunlight, so leave them outside until the first good frost.
tommyr liked this
By Fishkeeper
Outdoors is best for flytraps, as they thrive in the full sun and the good air movement, but I'd like to add that there are some small, inexpensive grow lights which will work if you just want one or two plants. I have a two-headed puck light from Sansi that works well if you put the head only about 6" above the pot's surface, and I would wager a lot of the grow bulbs they sell would work. I've also had fairly good success with a ceiling-strength LED bulb in an incandescent desk lamp. The trick is you have to put it very close to the plant.

That said, if you can put flytraps outside, you probably should put them outside. They generally grow better, and are definitely at a lower risk of rot, outdoors. Until you get to the point where it's going to go below freezing and stay that way without thawing at all during the day, leave them out. Once at that point, then you can bring them in.
By ChefDean
Fishkeeper wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 1:23 pmI'd like to add that there are some small, inexpensive grow lights which will work if you just want one or two plants.
True. But what is this "one or two plants" that you speak of? I typed it into Google translate and it just laughed at me.
Fishkeeper, Jade liked this
By Panman
ChefDean wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 3:28 pm
Fishkeeper wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 1:23 pmI'd like to add that there are some small, inexpensive grow lights which will work if you just want one or two plants.
True. But what is this "one or two plants" that you speak of? I typed it into Google translate and it just laughed at me.
One or two. Ha! That is like eating one potato chip. It's not possible.
By Fishkeeper
Panman wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 4:20 pm
ChefDean wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 3:28 pm
One or two. Ha! That is like eating one potato chip. It's not possible.
Baffling as it is, there are actually people who only have a few houseplants. I'm not entirely sure how that happens.
But, hey, if you're gonna get started snowballing into having plants on every reasonably sunny surface, a light that can handle a couple of flytrap pots is a nice start.
Panman, Jade liked this
By Dan J
Hello!

I’m in the Detroit area and mine have been outside since May. They are very happy and haven’t seemed to suffer from the storms.

Dan
Attachments:
IMG_4565.jpeg
IMG_4565.jpeg (3.83 MiB) Viewed 963 times
Panman, tommyr, Fishkeeper and 1 others liked this
By Kapahulu
Remember. In the wild (and my backyard) they survive through hurricanes....
Like everyone said. Unless it's freezing for days and days, they will be OK outside. 👍🏾
Refrigerator Dormancy

Thanks for helping. I was fervently hoping I wasn'[…]

https://c.tenor.com/MQlPQ1NngeIAAAAC/tenor.gif

SYBAsoil carnivorous mix

Thank you, having done more research I am doing da[…]

Counting to infinity.

2530 Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am located in zone 8, I can’t really recal[…]

Camden M’s grow list

woah where'd you get the lowii x truncata?

Request received. Your request number is 1839. I'l[…]

MikeB Too

Along with Shadowtski, MikeB also answered the cal[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!