FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Jackhw220
It was a really hot day and quite sunny 2 days ago it was about 22°c and sunny all day and the heads on my vft have started to go black on all of them I really don’t know what is happeningImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By tommyr
Jackhw220 wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2024 10:46 am It was a really hot day and quite sunny 2 days ago it was about 22°c and sunny all day and the heads on my vft have started to go black on all of them I really don’t know what is happeningImage

22 C is not hot. What kind of water are you watering them with? How deep is the water level in the water tray? Did you acclimate them to full Sun GRADUALLY or just stick them out in full Sun?
By Jackhw220
tommyr wrote:
Jackhw220 wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2024 10:46 am It was a really hot day and quite sunny 2 days ago it was about 22°c and sunny all day and the heads on my vft have started to go black on all of them I really don’t know what is happeningImage

22 C is not hot. What kind of water are you watering them with? How deep is the water level in the water tray? Did you acclimate them to full Sun GRADUALLY or just stick them out in full Sun?
I’m watering with rainwater and I let them acclimate to sun and water isn’t deep at all

By Jackhw220
Panman wrote:To me it looks like it has been kept too wet. How deep is the pot it is in, and how much water?
The pot is quite deep and it has been watered for the first time in 3 days today

By Panman
Quite deep and water not deep at all won't help. A picture from the side showing the depth of the pot, the soil level, and the water level would. Or at least the measurements of that. Flytraps have roots that are at least 5 inches long and don't like to have those roots sitting in water for a long period.
andynorth liked this
By MikeB
Venus flytraps like to have "wet feet". If the pot is 12 centimeters tall, I wouldn't let the water be more than 3 centimeters deep. Let the water in the saucer run dry, then water from the top again until it drains through the pot and puts another 2-3 cm in the saucer.
andynorth liked this
By MikeB
Panman wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2024 5:56 pm Do you mean don't like to have wet feet?
Do, as in "a shallow puddle of water", as opposed to "up to their waists in water". I see people setting their plant pots in water that's 1/2 to 3/4 of the pot's height, and that's way too deep.

Wet feet, then (more-or-less) dry feet on damp ground, then back to wet feet.
Refrigerator Dormancy

Thanks for helping. I was fervently hoping I wasn'[…]

https://c.tenor.com/MQlPQ1NngeIAAAAC/tenor.gif

SYBAsoil carnivorous mix

Thank you, having done more research I am doing da[…]

Counting to infinity.

2530 Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am located in zone 8, I can’t really recal[…]

Camden M’s grow list

woah where'd you get the lowii x truncata?

Request received. Your request number is 1839. I'l[…]

MikeB Too

Along with Shadowtski, MikeB also answered the cal[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!