FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By andynorth
I wait until my mix is complete, test the entire mix and rinse accordingly. I do this as I have found that my pH is quite high so I use pH Down in a 5 gallon bucket, mix the peat, water and pH Down after soaking for a few days. Seems to work out well .
Jade liked this
By Jade
That is a sweet setup! I feel like having CPs exercises the innovative and creative areas of our brains.

I have been thinking about an RO Buddie, and I saw a few little ones for about $60. Are those bad? I’m forever working on a budget with my disability, so I’m hoping that would work.

I saw someone post they had theirs attached to the faucet outside and I think I’d need to do that. Our sinks either don’t have the room or are currently hooked up for different jobs so outside faucet seems like a great solution if possible.
andynorth liked this
By Jade
andynorth wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 5:50 pm I wait until my mix is complete, test the entire mix and rinse accordingly. I do this as I have found that my pH is quite high so I use pH Down in a 5 gallon bucket, mix the peat, water and pH Down after soaking for a few days. Seems to work out well .
I’ve never heard of ph down. I will check that out for if I run into a water shortage or something. I’m still trying to remember what the 3 in 1 spray was called. I feel like it had insecticide, fungicide, and something else but I can’t for the life of me remember what it was called.
By andynorth
Jade wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 7:52 pm
andynorth wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 5:50 pm I’ve never heard of ph down. I will check that out for if I run into a water shortage or something.
It is available on Amazon. (What isn't) That and pH Up are used in hydroponics.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CJ ... =UTF8&th=1
By MikeB
Jade wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 5:02 am My tap is around 148ppm so yeah it’s not good. I have distilled gallons I buy every week or two as well, but I was also trying to save it. No real rain lately and the next few days might be in the 90s and feeling like 100, so I try to keep a few gallons in case of emergency, but I really need an extra source that doesn’t depend on rain and won’t break my bank for now. I’m paranoid I’ll be out sometime and the store won’t have any. I’m also spending a lot more as I get more plants.
Do any stores in your area (grocery stores, WalMart, Target, etc.) have RO filter machines out front? This would be a quick and easy way to grab a few gallons when you need it. Just make sure that they don't "add minerals for taste".

If you don't have gobs of plants, a short-term backup plan would be a ZeroWater filter pitcher. Your tap water's TDS isn't that high, so the filters should last longer.

The next step up would be a water distiller something like this. It churns out 6 gallons of distilled water a day, so you want to run it well in advance of the need. Also, it draws 750 watts of electricity to boil the water into steam, will make your electricity bill go up if you use it a lot.

If you plan to add more plants, then your best bet for the long term is to invest in a decent RO filter.
By Jade
MikeB wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 11:14 pm Do any stores in your area (grocery stores, WalMart, Target, etc.) have RO filter machines out front? This would be a quick and easy way to grab a few gallons when you need it. Just make sure that they don't "add minerals for taste".

I don’t believe so, but I don’t drive, and we usually have groceries and what not delivered, so this probably wouldn’t work anyway as I can’t exactly just go there whenever I need to without a ride

If you don't have gobs of plants, a short-term backup plan would be a ZeroWater filter pitcher. Your tap water's TDS isn't that high, so the filters should last longer.

Was thinking about this, but I feel like I might be just wasting money as a stopgap between the few plants I have and the gobs of plants I want to buy and grow

The next step up would be a water distiller something like this. It churns out 6 gallons of distilled water a day, so you want to run it well in advance of the need. Also, it draws 750 watts of electricity to boil the water into steam, will make your electricity bill go up if you use it a lot.

Yeah but I think it’s the same price as the RO Buddie I was looking at. And I’m living back with my mom at the moment, so I’ve had to adjust around what she’s comfortable with bill wise and her army of plants taking all the space for the indoor plants I want lol. If it’s a big jump in electricity or you think I’m gonna end up with an RO anyhow, I feel like it might just make more sense to jump straight to the last thing. I’m already struggling to find a tap I can use for that too. Unless I can use the outside faucet. Or maybe I’ll spring for a new one in the bathroom downstairs. She needs one anyhow, and it wouldn’t actually cost much to do

If you plan to add more plants, then your best bet for the long term is to invest in a decent RO filter.

I plan to add as many plants as I can reasonably afford and handle, and then I plan to get better so I can handle even more lol. I’m super happy and addicted to this “hobby”
By tommyr
I have never rinsed my peat in the 20+ years I've been growing CPs. Especially for flytraps. Your mistake was using the tap water. Or peat with added fertilizers.
Refrigerator Dormancy

Thanks for helping. I was fervently hoping I wasn'[…]

https://c.tenor.com/MQlPQ1NngeIAAAAC/tenor.gif

SYBAsoil carnivorous mix

Thank you, having done more research I am doing da[…]

Counting to infinity.

2530 Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am located in zone 8, I can’t really recal[…]

Camden M’s grow list

woah where'd you get the lowii x truncata?

Request received. Your request number is 1839. I'l[…]

MikeB Too

Along with Shadowtski, MikeB also answered the cal[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!