FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By O_Castitatis_Lilium
Hello!

So I read through the care things and there were a few questions that I Still have that weren't answered there.

1. If I don't get a lot of bugs where I am, is it true that I can feed him small balls of fishfood?
2. If there are black pieces on my plant, should I remove them now, or wait until they are crunchy?
3. If I can't get my hands on pure Perlite, can I just put him in pure sphagnum peat moss when I do replant him?
By Panman
O_Castitatis_Lilium wrote:1. If I don't get a lot of bugs where I am, is it true that I can feed him small balls of fishfood?
You can, but they don't need to be fed. If you are just starting out, I recommend that you do not feed them.
O_Castitatis_Lilium wrote:. If there are black pieces on my plant, should I remove them now, or wait until they are crunchy?
You can remove anything that is black but if it has any color to it, leave it.
O_Castitatis_Lilium wrote:3. If I can't get my hands on pure Perlite, can I just put him in pure sphagnum peat moss when I do replant him?
Yes, you can use pure peat, but you may have problems with moisture. If you have a HomeDepot near you, you can get Viagro perlite, which is safe. If you have a Lowes, you can use straight BetterGro Orchid Moss.
By O_Castitatis_Lilium
Panman wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 7:46 pm
O_Castitatis_Lilium wrote:1. If I don't get a lot of bugs where I am, is it true that I can feed him small balls of fishfood?
You can, but they don't need to be fed. If you are just starting out, I recommend that you do not feed them.
O_Castitatis_Lilium wrote:. If there are black pieces on my plant, should I remove them now, or wait until they are crunchy?
You can remove anything that is black but if it has any color to it, leave it.
O_Castitatis_Lilium wrote:3. If I can't get my hands on pure Perlite, can I just put him in pure sphagnum peat moss when I do replant him?
Yes, you can use pure peat, but you may have problems with moisture. If you have a HomeDepot near you, you can get Viagro perlite, which is safe. If you have a Lowes, you can use straight BetterGro Orchid Moss.
Wow! Quick, concise, informed; I love that! Thank you! I do have a home depot near me, I'll grab some later on, right now he's not root bound in the small pot he came in, and I know that it's best to report after the dormant period, like before they are fully awake. So, I have no plans right now to repot.

As for the food, I just want to make sure that if he can't get food (as it's too windy on the balcony where I live. It always has been), then I want to be able to provide him food when he needs it. The bugs don't like the high winds up here on this level, so they don't go past my floor really, aside from the odd wasp in the fall time, nothing really comes on the balcony.

Okay, so I have another question, I know there is a slight difference between perlite and vermiculite; but what is the difference between the two in terms of Venus Flytraps?
By Panman
Perlite is basically puffed glass and does not break down in the soil. Vermiculite is another natural product but it will break down and turn into a slimy mess over time. As it breaks down, it will release nutrients into the soil that are toxic to flytraps.
By O_Castitatis_Lilium
Panman wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 8:01 pm Perlite is basically puffed glass and does not break down in the soil. Vermiculite is another natural product but it will break down and turn into a slimy mess over time. As it breaks down, it will release nutrients into the soil that are toxic to flytraps.
Ah okay! Thank you so much!
Refrigerator Dormancy

Thanks for helping. I was fervently hoping I wasn'[…]

https://c.tenor.com/MQlPQ1NngeIAAAAC/tenor.gif

SYBAsoil carnivorous mix

Thank you, having done more research I am doing da[…]

Counting to infinity.

2530 Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am located in zone 8, I can’t really recal[…]

Camden M’s grow list

woah where'd you get the lowii x truncata?

Request received. Your request number is 1839. I'l[…]

MikeB Too

Along with Shadowtski, MikeB also answered the cal[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!