FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By JenCooper
Hello! I was hoping to build a small bog garden with carnivorous plants and I was wondering what I could put in there with minimal maintenance. I live in hardiness zone 7. What would you reccomend to build it in. (under $20 would be great!)
By andynorth
Well, Under $20.00 is going to be tough. First, where exactly in Zone 7 are you? This will help in determining where abouts you might be able to come up with some of the items you need. Second, what type of plants are you wanting to include in your bog? What works for myself and other folks on the forum might not be something you like. There are so many variables in growing CP's. Provide us with something to start with and I am sure you will get plenty of ideas.
By cpgrower126
Alright, $20 is gonna be hard to work with, but here goes. First get a small bowl pot, you could reuse a food container, etc. After that, get peat and perlite from Ace Hardware, but it might be a little over your budget, so you could go to Lowe's instead and get BetterGrow or Gubler's long fibered sphagnum moss. After that, at Lowe's check out their selection of carnivorous plants, and pick up some Venus flytraps and Sarracenia, if they don't have sarracenia, go to Trader Joes. You could also increase your budget, and order online; I've heard that FTS has excellent quality, and a great selection, but it may be a little bit pricey. You could buy from CalCarn or Predatory Plants, and it will be slightly cheaper, but the plants from CalCarn might be a little small. Also, if you don't order online, Lowe's has plenty of CP's and you can rejuvenate them, and they will grow vigorously, AND you could try and get a discount. You can go to the manager and say, "It has a black leaf" or something like that, and they will give it to you for a cheaper price. I have gotten them for 50% off before. This is assuming you don't have any of the plants. If you do, just get peat and perlite from ace, then put the plants in. If you are able to, tray and have holes in the bottom of the container (make sure container is not terra cotta) then get a tray and fill with distilled water. Give the plants at least 4-6 hours of direct sun, and give distilled water. Place outside, and the plants will catch plenty of bugs.

Happy Growing!
By andynorth
cpgrower126 wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 11:59 pm you could go to Lowe's instead and get BetterGrow or Gubler's long fibered sphagnum moss. After that, at Lowe's check out their selection of carnivorous plants, and pick up some Venus flytraps and Sarracenia, if they don't have sarracenia, go to Trader Joes.
Happy Growing!
Not all Lowe's and Trader Joe's carry CP's. I live in the PNW and rarely see them in these stores. On occasion Walmart carries flytraps that are practically dead and not worth trying to save. Not many nurseries in the area that carry CP's either. The one that is around, Jungle Exotics has some nice plants but none named and all overpriced. Not wanting to side track the thread. Trying to stay under $20.00 is tough, which is why I asked about location. It is possible someone on the forum knows where to get certain products for a discount or even free.
By MikeB
Under $20 for just the bog pot, or under $20 for the whole thing (pot, soil, and plants)?

For the pot, check out the resin barrel planters in the garden centers. Here are a couple from Home Depot's website:

12.8" diameter x 10.5" high - $10.97
https://www.homedepot.com/p/306580884

16" diameter x 11.5" high - $13.98
https://www.homedepot.com/p/302655967

When you look for plants, don't try to cram as many as possible into the planter. These plants will grow, so you need to leave room for them to expand.

They arrived! thank you! :D

Just saw this https://lifehacker.com/home/how-to-g[…]

Thanks. Yeah I’ve been trying to find a loca[…]

Thanks guys I’ll cut it. I haven’t got[…]

RO Buddy Reviews

Yes, you can use it for other plants that aren't s[…]

I don't do FB but I believe I may have seen this. […]

Thanks all. The only place I didn’t think […]

I personally don't like the term "typical&q[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!