FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Intheswamp
I understand. Something tells me that long-term your neighbor's plants will not be healthy due to the tap water...simply too many minerals in it.
By Fishkeeper
If your plant is about to go dry and you have no water other than tap water, tap water is better for it than drying out. Tap water slowly kills flytraps, drying out quickly kills them. I would not water yours with tap water, no, as his will more than likely slowly suffer from it. Unless he's filtering it somehow, maybe with one of those Zero water pitchers.

An easier way to know the quality of your water is to rely on that TDS meter to test it. That way, you don't have to watch his plant closely and try to account for differences in how quickly individual plants will die of improper conditions.
By Panman
Antoni wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 12:38 pm I just tested my tap water and it is about 190-200ppm. Is it okay if i water my flytraps with it every now and then (when there is no rain water or distilled water)? They are grown out doors now.
Not if you want them to live.
andynorth liked this
By ChefDean
Antoni wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 12:38 pm I just tested my tap water and it is about 190-200ppm. Is it okay if i water my flytraps with it every now and then (when there is no rain water or distilled water)? They are grown out doors now.
Any water is better than no water, but your plants will likely quickly die from too many minerals if watered too much with your tap water.
If you can't get a reliable source of appropriate water, it might be better to give the plant to someone who can.
By tommyr
ChefDean wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 7:10 pm It also depends on what the solids are in the TDS. My tap water averages about 100 ppm, and I have no problem watering straight from the hose.
At 100 ppm you would need to re-pot them every year. Per California Carnivores. That is very high TDS. I'd never use that high.
By tommyr
No IMHO. WAY too high. You'll find that out eventually.
By ChefDean
tommyr wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 7:12 pm
ChefDean wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 7:10 pm It also depends on what the solids are in the TDS. My tap water averages about 100 ppm, and I have no problem watering straight from the hose.
At 100 ppm you would need to re-pot them every year. Per California Carnivores. That is very high TDS. I'd never use that high.
As a general practice, probably. However, where my water is low in sodium, nitrates, nitrites, calcium, metals, and other "bad" stuff, with the majority of the TDS being inert, that's not necessary.
andynorth liked this

Received. Thanks!

They arrived! thank you! :D

Just saw this https://lifehacker.com/home/how-to-g[…]

Thanks. Yeah I’ve been trying to find a loca[…]

Thanks guys I’ll cut it. I haven’t got[…]

RO Buddy Reviews

Yes, you can use it for other plants that aren't s[…]

I don't do FB but I believe I may have seen this. […]

Thanks all. The only place I didn’t think […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!