FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Share photos of your Venus Fly Traps here.

Moderator: Matt

By Adrien
Here we have a volunteer who is sharing their flytrap trigger hair clusters. As you can see they are off centered, again I theorize the fertilizer is stretching/extending the trap in some way.
Attachments:
IMG_7656.jpeg
IMG_7656.jpeg (3.92 MiB) Viewed 157 times
IMG_7657.jpeg
IMG_7657.jpeg (3.41 MiB) Viewed 157 times
IMG_5558.jpeg
IMG_5558.jpeg (5.44 MiB) Viewed 157 times
IMG_5546.jpeg
IMG_5546.jpeg (6.21 MiB) Viewed 157 times
IMG_5545.jpeg
IMG_5545.jpeg (5.64 MiB) Viewed 157 times
IMG_5557.jpeg
IMG_5557.jpeg (5.4 MiB) Viewed 157 times
By ChefDean
Without pics of the location of the trigger hairs before the fertilizer regimen, then it's pretty much conjecture. More than likely, it's simply how the genes for this plant are being expressed, and it's a potential new cultivar if stable.
Maybe recommend that the user do several pullings and grow them without any fertilizer and report back on the results. Then take half of those plants and re-apply the fertilizer regimen and document. Before, multiple during, and after pics would be necessary to document rather than a bunch of after pics and an unprovable theory. If they're all the same, then it's probably genetic expression for off center hairs. If they all revert back to more centrally located hairs, and all the other conditions are identical minus fertilizer, then that could definitely be a contributory factor. Especially if the half that are re-fertilized again show the off center hairs return from being in a central position previously.
The addition of control plants would be a good idea as well. Several new plants from different sources with typical characteristics, half fertilized, half not, with similar documentation to show any changes.
It would be interesting to see what happens, and would likely take a couple of years at least. It could be a big plus for your fertilizer if it shows a reversion to more a typical phenotype as it applies to the trigger hairs when unfertilized, then back to off center when fertilizer resumes.
andynorth, Adrien liked this
By Adrien
Thanks for your input ChefDean! Great idea. It will definitely have to be tested

Order received. Your order number is 1671. I'll PM[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1670. I'll PM[…]

Weird Pitchers, advice?

I'm concerned about all my plants and wondering if[…]

Anything that requires a dormancy, dry rest, or de[…]

Hey everyone! I'm back on my hunt to look for a d[…]

Hello again from Florida

This isn't really a true introduction because I've[…]

New cultivar potential?

For its stout leaves and proportionately large t[…]

I have a many cape sundew varieties, about 6 pingu[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!