FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Photos of carnivorous plants other than the Venus Flytrap

Moderator: Matt

By MikeB
I've read posts from other growers that Sarracenia 'Leah Wilkerson' plants are fussy about repotting. They get really annoyed by root disturbance and need 2 or 3 years undisturbed before making big pitchers again. I have two of them, and I think they've finally gotten settled.
Leah Wilkerson.jpg
Leah Wilkerson.jpg (531.77 KiB) Viewed 310 times
Spring was very warm this year, and my Sarracenia definitely noticed. The bigger plant (in the back) already has a 30-inch / 76-centimeter pitcher, in addition to 7 flowers. The smaller plant has a 24-inch / 61-centimeter pitcher, a couple gnarled pitchers, and one flower. I slip-potted her two months ago; I don't know if she noticed or those are just weird spring pitchers.
optique, madrone, andynorth and 3 others liked this
By DragonsEye
Well, that’s news to me. Please don’t tell my Leah Wilkerson about this. Mine gets repotted every single year. :mrgreen: There’s no way it would survive on my balcony. I have to unpot every years so I can store it in my fridge for the winter and at that time I also divide every year. Living an apartment I’ve got very limited space and so I can’t have a massive pot of any particular plant if I want to have as many plants as I currently do. I’ve never had any issue with it sulking. I get decent sized pitchers every year — at least by my standards. (Don’t know what the maximum picture size is supposed to be and I don’t really care all that much.) But no, I typically get pictures that are probably about 1 to 2 feet tall.
By andynorth
DragonsEye wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 3:03 pm Well, that’s news to me. Please don’t tell my Leah Wilkerson about this. Mine gets repotted every single year. :mrgreen: There’s no way it would survive on my balcony. I have to unpot every years so I can store it in my fridge for the winter and at that time I also divide every year. Living an apartment I’ve got very limited space and so I can’t have a massive pot of any particular plant if I want to have as many plants as I currently do. I’ve never had any issue with it sulking. I get decent sized pitchers every year — at least by my standards. (Don’t know what the maximum picture size is supposed to be and I don’t really care all that much.) But no, I typically get pictures that are probably about 1 to 2 feet tall.
I wonder if this has to do with the fridge dormancy method. I know the few I did last year came out very strong. Unfortunately the squirrels got to them and decimated them.
By MikeB
DragonsEye wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 3:03 pm I’ve never had any issue with it sulking. I get decent sized pitchers every year — at least by my standards. (Don’t know what the maximum picture size is supposed to be and I don’t really care all that much.) But no, I typically get pictures that are probably about 1 to 2 feet tall.
That pitcher size is sulking for a Leah Wilkerson. Big pitchers easily hit 3 feet / 91 centimeters, and the record is 4 feet 3 inches / 130 centimeters.
stephenboss2000 liked this

Hello, I would like to request D. capensis "[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1666. I'll PM[…]

Hello from Arkansas!

Welcome! (and I think it's my turn to say: ) Be su[…]

New cultivar potential?

This plant always has something in its mouth :rol[…]

Black tips on drosera regia

It's probably nothing, as the whole plant seems to[…]

Yellowish leaves on N. ventrata

My 'Mimis Kiss' is finally growing pitchers again[…]

Hello , I can help with the Drosera if you are sti[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!