FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By TheeBadJuju
I just bought these off of an online retailer. I reported them into a peat moss/perlite mixture and flushed the medium down to 30ish ppm. I am just stressed about them because they are laying pretty flat and all of the ones I see online look all proud and standing up. :D I live in Michigan and I have been acclimating them to full sunlight but it gets a little chilly still at night (around 40 degrees Fahrenheit) I have been pulling it inside at night anyway though. It was replanted less than a week ago. Do I just need to give it time? And should I feed the reddish trap a bug?Image
Attachments:
20240410_174914.jpg
20240410_174914.jpg (6.27 MiB) Viewed 362 times
20240410_174903.jpg
20240410_174903.jpg (5.95 MiB) Viewed 362 times
By andynorth
It almost looks to have just emerged from dormancy. Possibly planted just a tad too deep. It is, from what I have learned, albeit the hard way, more detrimental to keep moving them. Find a spot where it can get as much direct sunlight as possible and leave it there. I just took all of mine out of dormancy and they look pretty sickly but they are growing new traps. Most people, from what I have gathered being on this forum for almost a year, do not feed their CP's while they are outside. They will catch what they need on their own. The more the trap closes, the closer it gets to death. 3 to 4 times I believe is about the norm and then they turn black. I am not sure what soil you use but I grow all my flytraps in 100% LFSM. They have done very well thus far and grew their own new, green LFSM while dormant.
By Dan J
Hello fellow Michiganander, I don’t think there is any harm in feeding a trap or 2. When repotting, the flytrap will always look sad for a little while, and may even loose a few traps. Keep an eye on the new growth to make sure it looks healthy.
By ChefDean
Having just been shipped and repotted, the plants look fine. The media looks a bit dry though.
As to moving them in and out, stop doing that unless it's going to drop below freezing. If it does, cover them to protect from frost, then uncover the next morning. Only bring them inside if it's forecasted to drop below about 27°F.
They're stressed from changing environments and from being handled. Moving them is confusing them, stressing them more. Leave them outside.
wcrosman, tommyr liked this
By MikeB
TheeBadJuju wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:06 pm I reported them into a peat moss/perlite mixture and flushed the medium down to 30ish ppm.
About testing the water run-off when flushing media . . . take a look at this video:

Is a TDS Meter Useful to Detect Minerals in Peat Moss?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9afvI0QKCQ
andynorth liked this
Cactus Care

Hello everyone! I have a couple of questions for y[…]

Another flower popped

Hey all, another flower popped last night from an […]

Hello, I would like to request SD-23-005 D. felix[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1651. I'll PM[…]

if nobodys said it yet ive found a pressure spraye[…]

1 year old cape!

I would really be interested in getting some see[…]

Lee’s Botanical Gardens has some drosera for[…]

Better-Gro LFSM

I show Lowes carrying both, although I had not s[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!