FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By cpgrower126
Hello,
I rescued a Sarracenia Purpurea; could possibly be S. Rosea, last year, and it is growing a flower this year. I wanted to get seed, but learned that self pollination leads to bad seed sets and more "runt plants". While visiting my local nursery, I found some more purps, in extremely rough shape, and they were blooming (blooming early because they were next to the tropical plants were it was humid, warm, and shady. Unfortunately, the purps were very expensive despite the very ruff shape; 40 dollars, and I had recently spent a lot of money on some cp's from reputable cp nurseries, so I decided that I wasn't gonna breach my budget (which I had done cus of impulse cp buys from this nursery so many times). So, using a paper and my finger, I swept some pollen off the flower, wrapped it in the paper and came home. My purp hasn't bloomed yet, and I'm wondering how to store the pollen. Someone said to put it in the fridge, but could use more detail. Also, how long is the pollen viable for?
Thanks!
Jedikinigit liked this
By steve booth
Store it in the fridge, its certainly good for a fortnight but I have no experience with older pollen.
Cheers
Steve
Hello!

Welcome to the community. It's always nice to have[…]

Question on soil

I'm definitely questioning too. It's especially […]

Tap water

If your plant is about to go dry and you have no w[…]

Our Postal Workers Hard At It

The address controversy has been with the USPS bef[…]

Master Gardener Course

Anyone here ever done a master gardener certif[…]

If you have only done it once and you will be flus[…]

Can vft survive windy days?

Ok thanks. I will try not to create a venus Flying[…]

Plant Mail

Let’s make these plants look their best ;)

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!