FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By rrrt
Hi everyone!

I understand that some sundews (e.g. D. capensis) are self fertile, and others (e.g. tuberous sundews) are not. Which other sundews are/are not self-fertile? Why might this be?

Thank you!
By BumpyEvergreen
Yeah, as stated the Queensland sisters, pygmy sundews and tuberous Drosera aren't self fertile. I believe that the petiolaris complex (excluding drosera banksii) and South American dews aren't self fertile either, though I'm not sure about Drosera magnifica. The Drosera indica complex is self-fertile.

The main reason that self-incompatibility is favored over asexual reproduction, is because in areas of the world that undergo change rapidly, mutation is advantageous. This is because through sexual reproduction through multiple plants, the difference in dimorphism displayed by the seedlings allows for a higher chance that one of the seedlings is better suited for the environment than its siblings or parents. In short in areas of the world that undergo rapid change reproduction by seeds is favored because of the higher rate of adaptation/mutation present in seed grown plants.

Self compatibility is favorable in regions that change slower over time as asexual reproduction allows the plant in question to quickly spread over the environment it is used to so the large population will withstand change by brute force and lineage.

These definitions also depend on the type of plant in question as cacti do both in deserts.
Andrew072 liked this
By evenwind
Probably a good rule of thumb is if it's easy, common and cheap, it's probably self-fertile. For instance: spatulata, capillaris, natalensis, and burmannii.
By Andrew072
Many South American drosera are self fertile. Some such as graomogolensis and ascendens seem to not be (definitely missed a bunch). Annuals and North American temperate species will generally be SC as well as a lot of South African species, excluding a few. The reason behind self-compatibility is not 100% uncovered to my knowledge, but for example, annuals will need to be able to propagate by seed because they die at the end of the growing season and need a way to consistently reset
Rosemary Oil Miticide

The Rasta Bob's link doesn't work. I may have to […]

You can pay shipping from Lowes and still get it f[…]

Better-Gro LFSM

I show Lowes carrying both, although I had not see[…]

Garden_Nymph Requests - Cancelled

Got it. TY. I will repost this Wed. I wasnt sure. […]

Oh, I know flavas are large, given the photos of t[…]

Hello all, I am looking to rapidly expand my drose[…]

No, you'll need to come back in May to make a requ[…]

in the mailbox. https://i.imgur.com/AkF0VlP.jpeg[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!