FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss water requirements, "soil" (growing media) and suitable planting containers

Moderator: Matt

By andynorth
I was reading in Savage Garden that most Pygmy Sundews grow well in a mix of 80% Peat and 20% sand. I was just curious if anyone has used LFSM in that mix or not. I am getting ready to attempt, very carefully, to transplant from their germinating container to a larger more permanent potter. I have some fairly fine sand that I am thinking of trying instead of the more coarse 14-20 grit.
By Intheswamp
Andy, for some reason I was thinking they liked a more "drainy" media. When I planted the "aging" gemmae that Chef was trying to clear out, I ended up with one "part" more of drainage material than I did peat. Not saying that is correct. As for the LFSM, I dunno...I hear that you shouldn't transplant them after they get growing so basically they live in the media the rest of their lives....I think. :?
Here's my post...

post448638.html#p448638
andynorth liked this
By BumpyEvergreen
I'd personally use more of any gritty substance. They're very sensitive about their Roots transplanting in general and being disturbed. I've heard they don't like LFS cuz of how much water it retains but I've never tried it myself. A top dressing of sand will also help keep moss down and help them from being choked out. It also makes them just look prettier too because of the contrast.

Also pygmy-drosera-grow-guide-d-sect-bryastr ... ml#p370778
Panman, andynorth liked this
By Panman
Same here. I have used my ceph mix 1:1:1 peat:perlite:sand. I topdress with milled moss because I can't find coarse enough sand. The sand I have forms a hard crust.
andynorth liked this
By Intheswamp
andynorth wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 7:23 pm Thanks everyone for all the info and input. I bought some of the below soil last summer that I never used for my ceph. Would it work?
https://carnivorousplantnursery.com/col ... s-soil-mix
That, according to their website, is a 2:1:1....peat moss, (coarse) sand, perlite. Basically a 1:1 ratio of capillary/moisture holding to drainage material. I don't think the pygmies will care. I agree that LFSM might not be the best to use...from reading only, no experience on my part! ;)
andynorth liked this

I was able to get the orchid moss for just under $[…]

Better-Gro LFSM

I show Lowes carrying both, although I had not s[…]

Rosemary Oil Miticide

The Rasta Bob's link doesn't work. I may have to […]

Garden_Nymph Requests - Cancelled

Got it. TY. I will repost this Wed. I wasnt sure. […]

Oh, I know flavas are large, given the photos of t[…]

Hello all, I am looking to rapidly expand my drose[…]

No, you'll need to come back in May to make a requ[…]

in the mailbox. https://i.imgur.com/AkF0VlP.jpeg[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!