FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By cpgrower126
Hello,
My S. purpurea is growing a flower, and I would like to try and grow sarracenia from seed. Unfortunately, my other sarracenia, S. flava is not flowering. I have read that self pollination in sarracenia will result in weak, less hardy plants, as well as a bad seed set and that it is not a good idea. Has anyone self pollinated sarracenia before? If so, what were the results?

Thanks!
By BumpyEvergreen
I have self-pollinated sarracenia 3 or 4 times, though I had no luck. The self pollinated included purpurea, rubra ssp rubra, flava and something else. The only times I have gotten seed from my sarrs were from when multiple were flowering and I hand pollinated. This didn't stop me from self pollinating when I only had one flowering and I think you should do it anyway, but harvest some pollen to use later on your flava if it flowers. The pollen should last a month or two depending on many factors if you store it in the fridge.
By steve booth
Self pollinated plants aren't all weak and certainly not necessarily less hardy. I have dozens of self pollinated plants some are indeed weak whilst others are as good growers as the parents. by doing this sometimes you get some very different offspring, reflecting the genes from previous plants that have crossed to make the parent plant that you are now selfing. So you can see some of the plants history.
If you have no other flowers out, give it a go you wont be dissapointed. And as has been said save the spare pollen in the fridge, it will keep for a few weeks, and if you flava flowers make yourself a catesbaei.
Cheers
Steve
Andrew072 liked this
By optique
I have wild sarr's popping up all over the place. If i was trying i would help it self pollinate. SNW is the utube vid i used to learn how.
By Panman
andynorth wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 3:48 pm What is SNW? Do you have a link by chance?
Sarracenia NorthWest. The site is https://www.growcarnivorousplants.com. You should be able to search for the videos on YouTube.
andynorth liked this
By andynorth
Panman wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 4:04 pm
andynorth wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 3:48 pm What is SNW? Do you have a link by chance?
Sarracenia NorthWest. The site is https://www.growcarnivorousplants.com. You should be able to search for the videos on YouTube.
Duh. It's still early. I have a direct link to them!!!

Thanks for sharing this, Hedonista! The last time[…]

Garden_Nymph Requests - Cancelled

Got it. TY. I will repost this Wed. I wasnt sure. […]

Oh, I know flavas are large, given the photos of t[…]

Hello all, I am looking to rapidly expand my drose[…]

No, you'll need to come back in May to make a requ[…]

in the mailbox. https://i.imgur.com/AkF0VlP.jpeg[…]

Is there a reason you overlooked flytrapstore.[…]

1 year old cape!

Update on the plant in the first post. It has fo[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!