FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By Trevsod
Just got back home from a 5 day trip and my VFT flower stalk went from 3” to this, There’s 14 pods I can count. How does blooming work, how long will each one stay open. We have dragonfly's and bees in the area that come to my sundews when they flower, should I still self pollinate them? Last question, do they work like sundews and when the flower closes the seed will be inside? Haven’t been able to find much on the flower stalks for these besides Timelapse’s.
Thank you guys, have a good night
Attachments:
IMG_4736.jpeg
IMG_4736.jpeg (410.48 KiB) Viewed 350 times
IMG_4735.jpeg
IMG_4735.jpeg (531.5 KiB) Viewed 350 times
By Dan J
I’m a fellow newbie, but I think VFTs require another plant in bloom to make seed. I think they need to be cross pollinated (pollen from another VFT needed to be pollinated). If pollinated, the flowers will die back and seed pods will grow in their place. When fully developed they open a bit exposing black seeds.
By andynorth
Venus flytraps can be self pollinated either by insects or the grower. However, it has been said that you get larger and more viable seeds with cross pollination. Once pollinated they will turn black at which time you can harvest the seed.
MikeB liked this
By Panman
Additionally, the pollen ripens on a flower before the stigma is receptive. You can tell when the stigma is receptive because the tip will start to look fuzzy.
andynorth liked this
By Trevsod
Thank you guys!
Love being able to post a question here and having feedback relatively soon.
I most likely will just let the flowers bloom and hope an insect pollinates it. Will post when they’re blooming.
Cheers everyone!
andynorth liked this
By MikeB
Matt and Leah have an excellent article + video on how to hand-pollinate Venus flytrap flowers.

I was able to get the orchid moss for just under $[…]

Better-Gro LFSM

I show Lowes carrying both, although I had not s[…]

Rosemary Oil Miticide

The Rasta Bob's link doesn't work. I may have to […]

Garden_Nymph Requests - Cancelled

Got it. TY. I will repost this Wed. I wasnt sure. […]

Oh, I know flavas are large, given the photos of t[…]

Hello all, I am looking to rapidly expand my drose[…]

No, you'll need to come back in May to make a requ[…]

in the mailbox. https://i.imgur.com/AkF0VlP.jpeg[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!