FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Hedonista
My ceph I got from Hollyhock on Monday has started getting brown and soft on some of the smaller pitchers. Initially, H told me to bag the plant and put it in indirect light for a few weeks, but when I told her my mini greenhouses have 85-95% humidity, she told me to go ahead and put it in there unbagged, which I did. It’s unhappy though, so what should I do? Just remove it and bag it? Or does it need more water too? Please help me, I don’t want to lose this baby!

Photos are of the day I got it and today.
Attachments:
IMG_4973.jpeg
IMG_4973.jpeg (2.68 MiB) Viewed 483 times
IMG_5093.jpeg
IMG_5093.jpeg (1.01 MiB) Viewed 483 times
By Huntsmanshorn
It's probably just suffering from some transport (and repotting if you did repot) stress. I'm sure in a month or two it will be looking much better, always assuming proper care of course.
Hedonista liked this
By Hedonista
Thanks, I hope you are right. I’m sure proper care is key, but I’m fairly new to CPs so I am not confident in exactly what that entails, especially for a ceph. I did repot, hopefully correctly.
By Intheswamp
I don't know what to tell you as I have no experience with this plant. But, I agree that the stress of the trip, a new climate to adjust to, etc., could be saying, "Hey! Wait a minute, let's stop and see what's goin' on here. This ain't our regular digs!". It's a young plant that just got kicked out of its home. Give it time...just follow general care for a ceph. ;)
Hedonista liked this
By Huntsmanshorn
Well, if you did a repot then you can most likely expect your plant to look worse before it starts to look better, as they do not enjoy having their roots disturbed, but that isn't really a big deal, so stay the course and try not to freak out too much, as tempting as that may be.
Hedonista liked this
By Huntsmanshorn
dizzle wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 3:45 pm Both of the cephs I have went to 95% death before they started to recover after a few months when I first got them.
This is exactly why I procrastinate repotting my Cephs!

Last time I sent a SASE to myself, it took a week […]

Rain

Predicting up to 1-3” of rain from now(Fri 7[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

They arrived today! YAY! will get them planted out[…]

Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

I'd heard rumors around the forums that TJ's has s[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!