FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss water requirements, "soil" (growing media) and suitable planting containers

Moderator: Matt

By Intheswamp
Nothing beneath it. I tried peat moss with my first sphagnum moss growing attempt...total disaster. Others may have better results using peat as a substrate, but my experience was bad. I have thought of trying silica sand with a touch of peat added to it...in an attempt to replicate what I've seen "in the wild". ;)
Spunro liked this
By Spunro
sorry for reviving this thread but is this sphag too?
Attachments:
IMG_6314.jpeg
IMG_6314.jpeg (6.39 MiB) Viewed 372 times
By Intheswamp
I will say, with utmost confidence,...maybe. 8-)

Looks much like sphagnum, though my local sphagnum grows "bushier" without as long of growing points (I guess that's what you call them...the leaves, fronds, filaments, ???).
Spunro liked this
By MikeB
Not sphagnum. I've seen the name of this moss before but can't recall it at the moment.
Spunro liked this
By steve booth
The moss in the picture you supplied comes under the heading of sheet or carpet moss to me, and is useless as a carnivorous plant medium and may even kill your plant if you use ita as a 100% growing medium. If you feel it, it is dry (unless its been raining) not at all like sphagnum which is generally wet.
Here's is a definition of Sphagnum moss:
any of an order (Sphagnales, containing a single genus Sphagnum) of atypical mosses that grow only in wet acid areas where their remains become compacted with other plant debris to form peat
If you Google sheet or carpet moss, you may well be able to see the species you pictured. They grow in full to partial shade where the soil is a well-drained but moist substrate, whereas Sphagnum grows in wet, badly drained, areas.
Cheers
Steve
Intheswamp, Spunro liked this
By alecStewart1
At the very least, you can get some good moss to make nifty local plant terrariums/vivariums with.

Careful going through peat bogs, though I'm sure you had a relative that already told you that when you were a kid.
Spunro liked this
Rain

Predicting up to 1-3” of rain from now(Fri 7[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

They arrived today! YAY! will get them planted out[…]

Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

I'd heard rumors around the forums that TJ's has s[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, Just wanted to see some photos of your Di[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!