FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By Trevsod
I’ve had this guy for around a year or so, and noticed yesterday he has a flower stalk. Just wanted to share, feel like a proud parent.

Also added a picture of my sarracenia that started growing super tall recently that I’m proud of, and my biggest trap on my nepenthes yet.
Attachments:
IMG_3763.jpeg
IMG_3763.jpeg (2.26 MiB) Viewed 432 times
IMG_3753.jpeg
IMG_3753.jpeg (2.2 MiB) Viewed 432 times
IMG_3762.jpeg
IMG_3762.jpeg (2 MiB) Viewed 432 times
IMG_3750.jpeg
IMG_3750.jpeg (2.27 MiB) Viewed 432 times
IMG_3751.jpeg
IMG_3751.jpeg (1.73 MiB) Viewed 432 times
optique, MikeB liked this
By DewsandTraps
I also have some flower stalks come out (9 of them to be exact) but they are all less than 1/4 tall and i can barely see them. I'll try to post a pic of them sometime.

Should I cut them off so the vfts can put more energy into coming out of dormancy or will the vfts be fine if I let some of them flower?
By Gary
Your choice. I let a VFT bloom last year just to see what the flower looks like etc and the plant suffered a bit but not too much. Having done that, this year I'm trimming the flower stalks as soon as I see them.
Those Sarrs and Neps look great. I'm still waiting for pitchers on my ventratas. They're still recovering from over-zealous watering.
By steve booth
DewsandTraps wrote:I also have some flower stalks come out (9 of them to be exact) but they are all less than 1/4 tall and i can barely see them. I'll try to post a pic of them sometime.

Should I cut them off so the vfts can put more energy into coming out of dormancy or will the vfts be fine if I let some of them flower?
As I don't aspire to specimen plants, if the plants are healthy I leave the flowers on mine on the plants, after all in the wild they would flower and set seeds and are non the less nice operational plants. If your conditions are bad or the plant is weak, cut them off, I grow literally hundreds of seeds every year gathered from my plants and some of the genetic diversity you get is amazing.

Cheers
Steve

Last time I sent a SASE to myself, it took a week […]

Rain

Predicting up to 1-3” of rain from now(Fri 7[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

They arrived today! YAY! will get them planted out[…]

Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

I'd heard rumors around the forums that TJ's has s[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!