FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By andynorth
It looks like my plants think it is spring time, even though we had traces of snow today. I have several of my Sarrs starting to sprout flower stalks. Do I clip them or leave them alone since I am probably 2 to 3 weeks from pulling them out of dormancy. I don't really want to put them in my indoor greenhouse or grow tents since we have mostly cloudy days for most of the spring and if I I go straight outside with them I will not have to worry about acclimating them when I do take them outside.
Attachments:
20240302_193347.jpg
20240302_193347.jpg (3.36 MiB) Viewed 603 times
By ChefDean
They probably know something you don't, like the snow may not be around much longer.
If you want seeds, leave them alone.
If you don't want seeds, clip them.
They really aren't an energy vampire like VFT stalks, and you can't propagate them like other carny plant stalks, but many of the flowers are pretty.
andynorth liked this
By andynorth
OK. I will leave the flowers as I do want to try my hand at collecting seeds in the fall. I had an S.rugelli in my grow tent that I did not catch in time once the flower opened so I lost my chance on that one. I bought bags so I can cover a few of my plants flowers, especially my endangered ones, and will OP the rest.
By ChefDean
Sarracenia are self compatible, but they don't self pollinate. If you keep them in the grow tent then you'll need to hand pollinate.
Pro: You can control the parentage.
Con: More work for you.
By andynorth
ChefDean wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 4:15 pm Sarracenia are self compatible, but they don't self pollinate. If you keep them in the grow tent then you'll need to hand pollinate.
Pro: You can control the parentage.
Con: More work for you.
Yes, I understand this. I just had the one in the grow tent for my "test" subject. I left the S.rugelli and a couple others in grow tents to see how well they do. Unfortunately 2 of the plants ended up with mealy bugs. They are in a different grow tent than the rugelli so it survived. I am hoping the other 2 come back to life after cutting down what were some very nice pitchers, changing out pot and soil and dousing with Bayer 3 in 1.
By Gary
The night temps here in central AZ are finally above freezing, so all my plants are living outside now. Two of the Sarrs are flowering, a Dana's and an unknown from CalCarn. Maybe I'll be able to get an ID on that one if the flower opens.
Intheswamp liked this
By MikeB
My Sarracenia have started popping flowers here in eastern North Carolina. We're dropping down to 35°F / 2°C tonight, but by Tuesday afternoon we're supposed to hit 72°F / 22°C. The last frost risk for my location is still 4-6 weeks away, but my plants are throwing caution to the wind.

S. flava var. maxima - Berkeley County, South Carolina
(I slip-potted this one into a bigger pot today.)
flava maxima.jpg
flava maxima.jpg (592.17 KiB) Viewed 318 times
S. leucophylla - seed-grown, Baldwin County, Alabama
leucophylla.jpg
leucophylla.jpg (516.46 KiB) Viewed 318 times
S. x moorei 'Red Velvet'
Red Velvet.jpg
Red Velvet.jpg (528.37 KiB) Viewed 318 times
andynorth liked this

Last time I sent a SASE to myself, it took a week […]

Rain

Predicting up to 1-3” of rain from now(Fri 7[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

They arrived today! YAY! will get them planted out[…]

Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

I'd heard rumors around the forums that TJ's has s[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!