FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Talk about anything you want in this forum.

Moderator: Matt

By andynorth
I was not going to post about this but then after thinking about it I thought it would be selfish if I did not share. I had a Red Bone Coon hound that was 10 years old and I had to euthanize him yesterday. No, he was not just a dog, he was my best friend and companion. We did everything together. Walked, chased critters, chased the ducks even though I knew he would never catch them. He never got to go on a "true" hunt" as it is pretty much outlawed in our state. He was truly one of a kind. Helped pile wood when I would split it. Helped make sure I made it to the bathroom after my heart attack. Constantly checked on my after I screwed up my back. Would warn my wife, back in 2018 when she was sick, before she fainted. He was my granddaughters best friend also and I am still trying to figure out how to tell her. He started limping just a couple short months ago and by yesterday he could barely walk and his whimpers let me know, it was time to go. Cancer had set in and we thought about surgery but were told even with that, there was a good chance at his age it would come back. Plus, his left front leg was taking a really bad beating after compensating for his tight front leg. I know he is in a better place now, it's just so damn hard.

EDIT: His name was Chopper.
Last edited by andynorth on Mon Feb 19, 2024 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Intheswamp
Ain't nothing wrong with mourning a pet, especially a companion dog. Red Bones are good animals, yours was getting towards his golden years. What was his name?

Our last dog was *maybe* an American Bulldog (I think that's what he was...or at least a lot of that breed in him ;) ). One of my BILs was around 6'4"...the first time "Buddy" ever saw him was at Christmas dinner one year. Buddy ran out to greet "whoever" it might be and when he got to my BIL he jumped straight up and stared him in evenly in the eyes for a moment...he earned my BIL's respect right then and there! :lol: I thought my BIL was gonna have a stroke! Buddy just wanted to know who he was, though.<grin> People generally stayed in their cars when they pulled up at the house as he would "woof" at them a bit. But, after they got out and Buddy saw they were ok with us...he was like they'd known each other for decades. My granddaughters, they could pound on him, tie his short ears in knots (or at least try), grab his cheeks to make him grin big, do anything they wanted to him (they never were mean or anything but they did hung him a lot!) and he would sit there like he was on top of the world, smiling for all the world to see with the loves of his life pestering him. He did have a bad <chuckle> habit of quietly walking up behind guys and gently nip them on the butt, though. He didn't hurt them...just a pinch. :lol: :mrgreen: I have no idea what that was all about and I honestly did not put him up to it. 8-) He ended up having cancer, too. I put him down myself...hard to do, but he was at home and at ease. I still miss him.

Sorry for you loss but enjoy the memories of your red bone, they'll last a lifetime. :)
DosEquisBuddy (Medium).jpg
DosEquisBuddy (Medium).jpg (356.57 KiB) Viewed 365 times
Last edited by Intheswamp on Mon Feb 19, 2024 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
andynorth liked this
By evenwind
Sorry for your loss.
andynorth liked this
By andynorth
I plan on posting some pics later along with a bit more info about Chopper. He was great with everyone. Just don't give someone a hug or raise your voice at one of the kids. :D On a couple occassions when we were fostering other dogs, he would take his toys and hide them from the other dogs. He would either back his butt up a bush to poop, or he would walk as he pooped, leaving a "trail" of poop instead of a pile. Sorry, gotta go for now.
Intheswamp liked this
By sans
Darn. Pretty rough when your animal dies.
andynorth liked this
Rain

Predicting up to 1-3” of rain from now(Fri 7[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

They arrived today! YAY! will get them planted out[…]

Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

I'd heard rumors around the forums that TJ's has s[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, Just wanted to see some photos of your Di[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!