FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about terrariums, mini bogs, greenhouses and other growing environments

Moderator: Matt

By Intheswamp
...smothered in gravy with mashed potatoes on the side and sweet tea. :mrgreen:

Well, I don't know that I can match Panman's "Chateau de Versailles", better known as the "Squirrel Defense 5000", but I'm thinking of what I could do. I'm thinking that a simple 5-post topless pen would work in discouraging the tree rats and other four-footed varmits. I really don't see the squirrels climbing up the posts and certainly not the wire. Birds would still have access, but how big of a problem would they be other than ripping up moss for their nests? The fenced area wouldn't even have to be very tall...kind of like a miniature dog park or a toddlers play ground. Thoughts?

Also, @optique mentioned that the kiddie pools act as an environment that the squirrels and most ground critters don't care for...too wet between pots, etc., I suppose.

I believe the biggest issue that I will have in the summer is animals seeking water...they can make a mess digging down into pots and trays looking for it. :x I know...put some water out for them. Usually I do, but that's no insurance they won't dig into the pots.

I have a heavy population of deer around here, too. A low fence won't keep them out...you've got to get close to 8' before you can stop them. But, double-fencing works...or, a small area enclosed where they don't think they have enough room to land in in it if they do jump.

I'm working on clearing out my old garden area that has laid fallow and gotten overgrown with dog fennel. I got injured back in 2020 and tried to work the garden in 2021, but just couldn't hang with it. Just yesterday I had a buddy of mine over and we burned it off some. I'm thinking of using part of that area for my carnivorous plants and have some t-posts I can use for the fencing...and a hot fence charger that I did manage to keep the deer out with. ;)

Anyhow, any thoughts on a fenced in area rather than a totally enclosed cage-like enclosure?
IMG_2380 (Custom).JPG
IMG_2380 (Custom).JPG (634.32 KiB) Viewed 465 times
By MikeB
I used plain ol' chicken wire around my raised bed.
Squirrel fence.jpg
Squirrel fence.jpg (346.39 KiB) Viewed 440 times
Because there were stakes just on one corner, the fencing was very floppy. The squirrels didn't seem to like that (none of 'em ever tried to climb over). The four housecats roaming the back yard were a big deterrent, too.
Intheswamp liked this
By elaineo
I don't have a photo right now, but i use garden step-in posts and 4' chicken wire. I place the wire flush around the perimeter of the water tubs, so squirrels can't dig under to get in. Also have bird netting loosely flopped over the top. Easy to expand or shrink (lol) as needed.
Intheswamp liked this
By Intheswamp
What size mesh chicken wire do ya'll use?
By MikeB
Mine was the 1" mesh, something that I picked up at Home Depot. It was what I always thought of as chicken wire, didn't know that it came in other sizes.
Intheswamp liked this
By Intheswamp
Well, that clears the question of the mesh size up nicely!!! :lol:
By elaineo
on second thought, mine might also be the 1" size. it's the standard stuff you find at hardware stores. i've seen my squirrels get through 1"x2" welded wire but they don't go through my chicken wire.

Last time I sent a SASE to myself, it took a week […]

Rain

Predicting up to 1-3” of rain from now(Fri 7[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

They arrived today! YAY! will get them planted out[…]

Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

I'd heard rumors around the forums that TJ's has s[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!