FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Jedikinigit
Hi community. I'm interested in propagating some purpurea and psittacina this coming year, but when I have been potting these up I do not see longer rhizomes that can easily be broken in pieces. I did see where it is possible to take leaf pullings, but was curious what others do for these. Any feedback appreciated.
By ChefDean
Leaf pullings very, very, very rarely work for Sarrs. Out of the hundreds of pulls I've tried because of breakage and such when separating rhizomes, even intentional, careful pulls, I've had one take.
You're better off feeding them well throughout the year to get lots of nutrients that they can put towards rhizome growth during dormancy, or get lots of seeds and grow them that way.
Jedikinigit, andynorth liked this
By Shadowtski
I agree with Chef Dean's comment.
Given time and adequate prey, Sarracenia purpurea will develop multiple growth points.
If you wait until the new growth points develop their own roots, you can just snap off the new growth point and pot it up.
I've had close to 100% success doing it this way.

As always, just my 02¢ worth.
By Jedikinigit
Do you do anything different with the horizontal growth forms when compared to the vertical forms? Looking at an alata I have a really easy time breaking it apart. Maybe I'm just worried about damaging the pitchers, but it seems easy harder with these broad low plants. Thoughts, advice?
By Shadowtski
Once you have multiple growing points with roots, wait until about this time of year when the plant is starting to come out of dormancy.
Repot it at the same time you divide it.
If it gets too difficult, you can cut off some of the pitchers and make the mess easier to handle.
Jedikinigit liked this
By MikeB
Jedikinigit wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 11:02 pm Do you do anything different with the horizontal growth forms when compared to the vertical forms? Looking at an alata I have a really easy time breaking it apart. Maybe I'm just worried about damaging the pitchers, but it seems easy harder with these broad low plants. Thoughts, advice?
The short species/hybrids are always more difficult to divide because they don't get big rhizomes (compared to the tall plants) and their crowns are much closer together. I've found that this is particularly true with psittacina.

Kitchen shears come in handy for dividing these plants. They can reach into tight spaces and chop through the rhizome. I also use them to cut off dead pitchers because their blades are thick and sturdy.
By andynorth
MikeB wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 2:11 am
Jedikinigit wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 11:02 pm
Kitchen shears come in handy for dividing these plants. They can reach into tight spaces and chop through the rhizome. I also use them to cut off dead pitchers because their blades are thick and sturdy.
I have those exact shears. Well, the wife does. One set is for general cutting, the other for food items. Will cut chicken bones in half without a problem. Also great for cutting off fat and other undesirables from meat. I guess I need to order another set.
Rain

Predicting up to 1-3” of rain from now(Fri 7[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

They arrived today! YAY! will get them planted out[…]

Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

I'd heard rumors around the forums that TJ's has s[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, Just wanted to see some photos of your Di[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!