FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Spunro
for sarrs, can you cut off the all the pitchers BEFORE dormancy? I’m worried that with the new taller pots I’m getting, the sarrs will no longer be able to fit in their little fridge drawer
By MikeB
Do your winter temps drop below -6°C / 20°F? If not, then the fridge is unnecessary; you can just keep the plants outdoors.

If it rains a lot during the winter, then I would put the plants in shallow saucers or move them under cover. It's best to keep Sarracenia damp / a little wet versus soggy-wet during the winter. Constantly being very wet during cold weather can encourage rhizome rot.
andynorth liked this
By Spunro
yup it regularly gets below that for weeks at a time so outdoor dormancy isnt really an option for me
By fluffy123
For mines, I place them into a garage but Sarracenia Purpurea Purpurea remain outdoors year around as I live within their native range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By andynorth
MikeB wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 6:54 pm If it rains a lot during the winter, then I would put the plants in shallow saucers or move them under cover. It's best to keep Sarracenia damp / a little wet versus soggy-wet during the winter. Constantly being very wet during cold weather can encourage rhizome rot.
This is the issue we have in the here PNW. I am considering some type of "umbrella" that will not blow away for next season instead of dragging them all in and placing in garage. Either that or a greenhouse so they can get the maximum benefit of our early Spring/Summers limited sunshine. I also want to take a trip to Sarracenia Northwest to see how they do it.
MikeB liked this
By Spunro
i dont have a garage or unheated room, and it gets too cold outside where i live so the fridge is my only option
By andynorth
Spunro wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 3:44 pm i dont have a garage or unheated room, and it gets too cold outside where i live so the fridge is my only option
I used that method last season and my Sarrs and VFT's came back stronger than ever. Unfortunately my son failed to keep up with watering the one Sarrs I gave him and the birds/squirrels dug up and decimated all the others. I now have cages that will go around and over them this year. I have way too many now to let them get ahold of them.
Rain

Predicting up to 1-3” of rain from now(Fri 7[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

They arrived today! YAY! will get them planted out[…]

Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

I'd heard rumors around the forums that TJ's has s[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, Just wanted to see some photos of your Di[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!