FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss water requirements, "soil" (growing media) and suitable planting containers

Moderator: Matt

By Jedikinigit
Two questions on my growing conditions.

I have a lot of oaks in my yard that are shedding leaves in my CP containers. Is this a problem? pH?

Second, it seems, sarrs, some pings, and VFTs grow in acidic conditions in their natural environment. Should I add pine needles in my water trays to reduce pH?

Thanks just wondering if I need to pick out all these pesky leaves.
By optique
A low PH is better for the media keeps it from decaying. I clean my pools out late winter and just before 1st frost and i have never had a issue.
By steve booth
I use pine bark and needles to revitalise the peat in my outside bogs, to save me a fortune on replacing it, it releases its acidity slowly and adds tannins to the substrate as well as opening up the texture of the soil and allowing oxygen down into the roots. So yes in your tray it would work, but I think it would degrade a lot quicker in water so watch out for that fine line between when it stops releasing acidity and tannins and instead starts to decompose releasing nutrients and robbing oxygen from the surroundings.
Not sure about the oak leaves, I do know that leaf mould can be used for a year or so to grow Sarracenias but how acidic they are I don't know.
Cheers
Steve
Jedikinigit, andynorth liked this
By andynorth
steve booth wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 11:28 am I use pine bark and needles to revitalise the peat in my outside bogs, to save me a fortune on replacing it, it releases its acidity slowly and adds tannins to the substrate as well as opening up the texture of the soil and allowing oxygen down into the roots. So yes in your tray it would work, but I think it would degrade a lot quicker in water so watch out for that fine line between when it stops releasing acidity and tannins and instead starts to decompose releasing nutrients and robbing oxygen from the surroundings.
Not sure about the oak leaves, I do know that leaf mould can be used for a year or so to grow Sarracenias but how acidic they are I don't know.
Cheers
Steve
This is great to know. I have pine trees all around me and hoards of pine needles in my gutters!!! I will start collecting the dry ones to add to the top of my potters. From what I have seen, it appears that after a month or so setting in water they start to break down. I am thinking I should do a test with some to see how long before they are no longer beneficial.
By Jedikinigit
If you run an experiment please let me know. I don't have ones in my yard, but do have access to plenty of needles.
andynorth liked this
Rain

Predicting up to 1-3” of rain from now(Fri 7[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

They arrived today! YAY! will get them planted out[…]

Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

I'd heard rumors around the forums that TJ's has s[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, Just wanted to see some photos of your Di[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!