FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By Hedonista
I’m looking through the seed bank, trying to decide what I want to request next, and it’s a little overwhelming. I have been trying to look up each variety offered to see photos, but there are lots, and some I can’t find photos for. I sure wish there were photos in the seed bank for newbies like me. Is there a gallery here or on another site that has labeled photos of lots of varieties all in one place?
wcrosman liked this
By Hedonista
I just spent some time looking through the drosera stuff. It’s not quite what I was hoping for, but I was able to see photos of some of the things I wanted to. I actually had decent luck just looking through some of the articles on the CPS website.
By ChefDean
Well, unless the description has something unique (red, giant, all green, albino, etc.), you can pretty much assume that the different varieties of the same species will all look almost exactly alike in size and shape. They'll display some slight differences based on the environment they evolved in, mostly shading and color. But those differences can also show in seed grown due to whatever genes are being expressed, the local environment, sunlight vs artificial light, etc.
For example, the 21 varieties of spatulata we have will all form low rosettes about 1.5 inches across when mature. Each variety will likely slightly differ most in color, but usually nothing will jump out as being drastically different (but those genes can surprise you from time to time).
Hedonista, andynorth liked this
Rain

Predicting up to 1-3” of rain from now(Fri 7[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

They arrived today! YAY! will get them planted out[…]

Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

I'd heard rumors around the forums that TJ's has s[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, Just wanted to see some photos of your Di[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!