FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Pinguicula care here

Moderator: Matt

By Jedikinigit
Hi FTC community. I got my first ping, which had two plants a couple of weeks ago. I split them into two pots. Do these look healthy? The leaves are a bit see-through (transparent) which I saw mentioned by some other people. I don't have experience with them so if there is something obviously wrong I would be interested to know. The one is in a mix that is too sandy I think, but since I recently re-potted I wanted to avoid disturbing it again. I was also hoping to do some light foliar fertilization to give them a boost. Should I wait, or just go light with a couple of drops on the leaves every week? Thanks for any insight.
Attachments:
PXL_20231226_184903126.jpg
PXL_20231226_184903126.jpg (2.72 MiB) Viewed 712 times
PXL_20231226_194851210.jpg
PXL_20231226_194851210.jpg (2.36 MiB) Viewed 712 times
By jeff
They seem in good health to me.
I would keep a wetter sphagnum moss for the one that is in this substrate.
for my part I never fertilize my pings artificially, I mean the right season, so that they take on insects themselves, at their own pace
Jedikinigit liked this
By Bug_cemetery
P. primuliflora is a fun ping to grow! It looks like you may already be aware, but for avoidance of confusion for other growers, this is a warm temperate ping with very different growing requirements compared to the majority of pings on the market.
P. primuliflora wants to be kept very wet and doesn’t mind saturated peat of sphagnum that would rot other species . It can literally be submerged without any issue! It grows baby plants on the leaves where they contact the substrate. You’ll want to be sure to look for these and move a few to new pots. As the plant ages, the older bottom leaves will die and rot. I clean out the accumulated dead leaves from under the plant occasionally since I’m growing indoors without soil fauna to do that cleanup.
Jedikinigit liked this
By Jedikinigit
Thank you for the feedback. I'll keep an eye on it, but I'm going to keep it a bit wetter. Both are indoors and with occasional cold weather humidity is dipping inside quite a bit on occasion. I'll also plan to clean up under it occasionally and maybe give it some trips outside in spring and summer to gorge in partial shade.
Rain

Predicting up to 1-3” of rain from now(Fri 7[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

They arrived today! YAY! will get them planted out[…]

Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

I'd heard rumors around the forums that TJ's has s[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, Just wanted to see some photos of your Di[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!