FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Talk about your orchids and share photos of them here

Moderator: Matt

By septembersapphire21
Long time no see everyone!

I'm new the orchids and this is my first one. I was wondering does it need a repot?

I got this orchid actually last year in late May by a coworker because they knew I'm a plant person and really couldn't take care of it. It had its bloom until August I believe and in late November I learned I had to trim off their dead stems for it to grow new ones. It's been chilling with my other plants since. Also, what type of pot should it be in? Rn this orchid is in a clay or ceramic pot with the roots and moss in a plastic pot.
Attachments:
orchid1.png
orchid1.png (397.07 KiB) Viewed 687 times
orchid2.png
orchid2.png (379.13 KiB) Viewed 687 times
By wcrosman
Yes repot. Pot is way too small. Normally need repotted yearly due to media breakdown. Use a mixture of orchid bark, perlite, and Leica. Some say add some dry sphagnum moss but I quit adding that and my orchids are better for it. I also weakly fertilize my 3 weeks and one week not/flush. I soak the media for 5 minutes each time I water letting it drain completely.

Clear plastic slotted pots work well.
https://www.repotme.com/collections/slotted-orchid-pot

https://www.repotme.com/collections/orc ... 1489690705
By septembersapphire21
wcrosman wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 5:31 pm Yes repot. Pot is way too small. Normally need repotted yearly due to media breakdown. Use a mixture of orchid bark, perlite, and Leica. Some say add some dry sphagnum moss but I quit adding that and my orchids are better for it. I also weakly fertilize my 3 weeks and one week not/flush. I soak the media for 5 minutes each time I water letting it drain completely.

Clear plastic slotted pots work well.
https://www.repotme.com/collections/slotted-orchid-pot

https://www.repotme.com/collections/orc ... 1489690705
Ok, I'll do that then. I have orchid bark and perlite, but I don't have leica, never heard of it until I saw the media mixture you suggested. And thanks for suggesting the pot! That's what is currently in right now, but yea it's super small and media/roots are compacted. I'll take care of it though! Thank you!
By alecStewart1
You shouldn't have too much trouble, that looks like a Phalaenopsis, and they're not nearly as whiny about being repotted as other orchids.

Some people just use medium orchid bark, some people orchid bark and chunky perlite, some orchid bark, chunky perlite and charcoal. The one I have I believe is just in orchid bark. Phals aren't too picky.
By evenwind
As long as your potting medium is big chunks, you should be fine. The trick is to be sure there's sufficient spaces to allow air to get to the roots. Years ago I read about someone who had filled a pot with glass marbles, superglued them together (to prevent them shifting) and planted a Phal. The Phal needed to be watered more often since the "medium" didn't retain moisture, but was otherwise perfectly happy.

septembersapphire21 wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 6:53 pm Ok, I'll do that then. I have orchid bark and perlite, but I don't have leica, never heard of it until I saw the media mixture you suggested.
BTW, pretty sure that's a typo. "Leica" is a fancy German camera, "Leca" is expanded clay balls used for planting.
By wcrosman
evenwind wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 10:23 pm As long as your potting medium is big chunks, you should be fine. The trick is to be sure there's sufficient spaces to allow air to get to the roots. Years ago I read about someone who had filled a pot with glass marbles, superglued them together (to prevent them shifting) and planted a Phal. The Phal needed to be watered more often since the "medium" didn't retain moisture, but was otherwise perfectly happy.

septembersapphire21 wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 6:53 pm Ok, I'll do that then. I have orchid bark and perlite, but I don't have leica, never heard of it until I saw the media mixture you suggested.
BTW, pretty sure that's a typo. "Leica" is a fancy German camera, "Leca" is expanded clay balls used for planting.
My bad on the spelling.
By septembersapphire21
alecStewart1 wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 8:59 pm You shouldn't have too much trouble, that looks like a Phalaenopsis, and they're not nearly as whiny about being repotted as other orchids.

Some people just use medium orchid bark, some people orchid bark and chunky perlite, some orchid bark, chunky perlite and charcoal. The one I have I believe is just in orchid bark. Phals aren't too picky.
Wow, it's interesting that you can tell what it is without the flowers! :shock: It did had purple flowers, and it only had them until September. Good to know it won't be a picky orchid.
Rain

Predicting up to 1-3” of rain from now(Fri 7[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

They arrived today! YAY! will get them planted out[…]

Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

I'd heard rumors around the forums that TJ's has s[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, Just wanted to see some photos of your Di[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!