FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss water requirements, "soil" (growing media) and suitable planting containers

Moderator: Matt

By Carnylove1998
I want to start mixing my own soil, now that I have over 10 carnivores plants it seems a little ridiculous to buy the premixed stuff, although it was convenient when I only had three. I’m curious if any of you have ever used the HTH pool care filter stand sold at Ace Hardware? I believe it is 16 mesh, although I am having trouble telling online. If not, what brand of sand do you use now?

I will be mixing it with coarse Perlite and Premier Spag Peat Moss. :mrgreen:
andynorth liked this
By andynorth
Yea, It did not take long for me to figure out how spendy this hobby can actually get. I was paying $21.00 for 3 dry quarts of LFSM and close to the same for 8 quarts of peat. @Intheswamp pointed me to Better-Gro LFSM and someone else mentioned Premier Peat moss at Lowes so I have now reduced my media costs substantially, leaving more funds for plants.
By Shadowtski
Carnylove1998 wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 7:45 pm I want to start mixing my own soil, now that I have over 10 carnivores plants it seems a little ridiculous to buy the premixed stuff, although it was convenient when I only had three. I’m curious if any of you have ever used the HTH pool care filter stand sold at Ace Hardware? I believe it is 16 mesh, although I am having trouble telling online. If not, what brand of sand do you use now?

I will be mixing it with coarse Perlite and Premier Spag Peat Moss. :mrgreen:
I haven't tried that brand, but pouring some vinegar over a bit of it will test for alkalinity. If it bubbles when you pour an acidic liquid over it then it is alkaline and no good for growing carnivores.
A second test is to mix some water with it, drain the water , then test the water with a TDS meter(Available for $10 - $20 at AMZN). If the reading is below 50ppm, then you're good. Otherwise you'll have to flush and drain it until impurities are washed out.

But so far, all pool filter sand I've checked has been OK.
Good luck.
By Dan V
Pool filter sand is normally graded to a 20-mesh size which usually ends up being washed down to the bottom of the pot from watering the plants. The flytrap store uses a #12 quartz sand which is only available in pallets of 50lb bags or in small quantities at very high prices on sites like Amazon, etc.
elaineo liked this
By Intheswamp
Andy, pumice isn't readily available where you're at? My understanding is that it's a "west coast thing" and the cost isn't prohibitive, unlike it is in my neck of the woods.
By Intheswamp
andynorth wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 3:59 pm Possibly. I was looking for the sand.

"The flytrap store uses a #12 quartz sand which is only available in pallets of 50lb bags or in small quantities at very high prices on sites like Amazon, etc."
Ok. I just thought I'd mention it.
By MikeB
andynorth wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 3:59 pm Possibly. I was looking for the sand.

"The flytrap store uses a #12 quartz sand which is only available in pallets of 50lb bags or in small quantities at very high prices on sites like Amazon, etc."
Any farm supply stores in your area? That's where I get my sand, in the bulk supplies section. It runs me $10 for a cubic foot (which weighs around a hundred pounds, "fun" to get in and out of the car).

If not, check around for sandblasting suppliers. They sell silica sand in the 50-pound bags.

One more option: saltwater aquarium stores. Most of them sell white silica sand. Just make sure it doesn't have any bits of shell or coral, and rinse it well before use.
andynorth, elaineo liked this

Last time I sent a SASE to myself, it took a week […]

Rain

Predicting up to 1-3” of rain from now(Fri 7[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

They arrived today! YAY! will get them planted out[…]

Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

I'd heard rumors around the forums that TJ's has s[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!