FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Post your experience here, good or bad, to help others in future transactions

Moderator: Matt

By hollyhock
I lost my drosera Ivan's paddle. I decided to check out some people's grow lists. Mike B had it listed so I sent him a message to ask if he would sell or trade. Mike B came through and I am delighted :D. Thanks again Mike B
Attachments:
20231119_152929.jpg
20231119_152929.jpg (2.83 MiB) Viewed 1242 times
Panman, andynorth, MikeB and 1 others liked this
By MikeB
They are looking so much better growing indoors! I had to keep them outside due to lack of space in the house. They did okay growing in my Sarracenia pots but weren't thrilled about it, particularly during the winter.
hollyhock liked this
By hollyhock
I posted a picture of my plant on a FB carnivorous page and was told that it's more likely Drosera Eloisiana. 🙃
I still like it but now I question the identity?
Attachments:
20240101_153803.jpg
20240101_153803.jpg (2.21 MiB) Viewed 853 times
By ChefDean
Looking at multiple images of both, it looks like Ivan's Paddle to me. Rounded paddles on IP vs longer petioles and a slightly "flattened top" of the paddle on the eloisiana.
By hollyhock
ChefDean wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 6:39 pm Looking at multiple images of both, it looks like Ivan's Paddle to me. Rounded paddles on IP vs longer petioles and a slightly "flattened top" of the paddle on the eloisiana.
This guy says his are drosera ivans paddle. And the leaves on his are definitely more "paddle" shaped. That's why I'm now confused and questioning it. Mine are definitely more round like D.rotundifolia :D
Attachments:
Screenshot_20240105_153524_Messenger.jpg
Screenshot_20240105_153524_Messenger.jpg (423.38 KiB) Viewed 819 times
By ChefDean
Hmmmm, interesting. All the images I saw showed similar structure and shape for juvenile plants, which I don't believe yours are. But all the mature IP were shorter and round (at least definitely more round than eloisiana), and all the eloisiana were long and flat topped to one degree or another.
I'm not saying Google is 100% accurate, but it's also possible that the guy who says his are different may have accidentally swapped labels.
Maybe Nepenthes0260 will see this and give his opinion. I'd trust his assessment more than most.
hollyhock liked this
By hollyhock
Mine are definitely mature plants. They are flowering now. I'm liking the plants regardless of what they are. Mike B is a top shelf grower. I just want to make sure I get the ID for the tag right if possible. :lol: I definitely had questions when they first arrived because of the shape. The ones I lost were definitely Drosera Ivan's paddle. These although quite beautiful are perhaps something else. 🤔 the actual stems are very long and the top is so similar to drosera rotundifolia. Mike B grew them outside with sarracenia. That's another reason I question it since D. Eloisiana is a temperate hybrid.. and drosera ivans paddle is a subtropical. I guess if Mike B said they went dormant and formed a hibernation bud then the detective work would be close to solving :D
By MikeB
I got these sundews from Herbz187, a member here. The last time that he logged in was 4 months ago.

Watch this video about "Ivan's Paddle", from the guy who runs the GrowSundews.com website. The leaves on his plants are more rounded, and the ends aren't squared-off. He talks about the leaf shape, and at the 50-second mark he says "they can morph into a rotundifolia shape if the temperatures drop a bit or with the seasonal variation in temperature." When these plants were in my care, they spent their lives outdoors. The rotundifolia and anglica California genes allowed them to survive the winters here, even though the anglica Hawaii genes were not happy about it.

One last thing: I also have Drosera x eloisiana "Nightmare" in my collection. I can honestly say that my "Ivan's Paddle" plants were not like it. "Nightmare" knows what winter means: it shuts down in the fall and forms a very tight hibernaculum. "Ivan's Paddle" had to get beat over the head by the cool weather before it got a clue.
By hollyhock
Thanks Mike B. That video definitely looks like the plants I received from you. Although mine are not really showing much red yet. The guy that questioned the ID wasn't being mean about it. He also conferred that it very well could be Ivan's paddle. His plants well I don't know what those are at all. :lol: I was under the impression that seeds from IP don't grow true. He claims his are SG F6. Anyway thanks for helping me to somewhat clear it up :D
By MikeB
hollyhock wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 3:45 pm I was under the impression that seeds from IP don't grow true.
Your impression is correct:

Drosera x obovata 'Ivan's Paddle'
http://www.growsundews.com/sundews/Ivans_Paddle.html
Drosera 'Ivan's Paddle' is a cross between the 'CA x HI' tropical Drosera anglica hybrid and a Drosera rotundifolia plant from Willow Lake, California. Ivan treated the D. rotundifolia parent with colchycine to double its chromosome number. The result was a fertile Drosera x obovata (normally D. x obovata is infertile in nature).
[ snip ]
This cultivar produces viable seeds that do not breed true -- if you raised this sundew from seed, you could no longer call them D. 'Ivan's Paddle'.
Rain

Predicting up to 1-3” of rain from now(Fri 7[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

They arrived today! YAY! will get them planted out[…]

Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

I'd heard rumors around the forums that TJ's has s[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, Just wanted to see some photos of your Di[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!