FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Lilyofthevalley9
Just to clarify lowland Nepenthes like N. Gracilis and N. Ampullaria prefer warmer conditions right? I grow mine in a literal 'sauna' and it never gets below 85 degrees F. Currently not sure whether or not this is conflicting information or if there is some truth to this at least. If someone can give an explanation I would appreciate it.
Attachments:
Screenshot_20231225-144754.png
Screenshot_20231225-144754.png (248.65 KiB) Viewed 566 times
Screenshot_20231225-144717.png
Screenshot_20231225-144717.png (259.4 KiB) Viewed 566 times
By Huntsmanshorn
The only advice I can give you is my personal experience with lowlanders, which is admittedly limited, and that is that they really like warm days (85-95F) and a temp drop at night (70-80F), and sometimes you can get away with keeping them all the time, 24/7, at a nice middle temp between those two. Concerning conflicting info, one thing to keep in mind is that when you ask for advice online, is that you have absolutely no idea what all that person's growing conditions are like or how long they have been growing their plant or even if they are really growing that plant. Maybe they just like giving advice, or their plant died, and they hope yours will too, or they are a pathological liar, or they've read about growing the plant and like to sound authoritative, or whatever. So I guess what I'm saying is, that if you are ever confused by conflicting online (or even IRL) advice, is to get a book written by someone in the know or talk to a known expert face to face, it won't always be perfect, but it's a whole lot better than getting some internet rando's (says the internet rando) point of view. Sorry for being long-winded, but that's what you get when I have had a little bit too much Holiday Cheer. Hope you had a Merry Christmas. :)
elaineo liked this
By Lilyofthevalley9
Huntsmanshorn wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 5:44 am The only advice I can give you is my personal experience with lowlanders, which is admittedly limited, and that is that they really like warm days (85-95F) and a temp drop at night (70-80F), and sometimes you can get away with keeping them all the time, 24/7, at a nice middle temp between those two. Concerning conflicting info, one thing to keep in mind is that when you ask for advice online, is that you have absolutely no idea what all that person's growing conditions are like or how long they have been growing their plant or even if they are really growing that plant. Maybe they just like giving advice, or their plant died, and they hope yours will too, or they are a pathological liar, or they've read about growing the plant and like to sound authoritative, or whatever. So I guess what I'm saying is, that if you are ever confused by conflicting online (or even IRL) advice, is to get a book written by someone in the know or talk to a known expert face to face, it won't always be perfect, but it's a whole lot better than getting some internet rando's (says the internet rando) point of view. Sorry for being long-winded, but that's what you get when I have had a little bit too much Holiday Cheer. Hope you had a Merry Christmas. :)
Thanks for clarifying my current lowland conditions are correct as I suspected.
By specialkayme
Lilyofthevalley9 wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 10:27 am Thanks for clarifying my current lowland conditions are correct as I suspected.
There isn't really a "correct" lowland condition.

For starters, take a look at the range that gracilis and ampul prefer (https://tomscarnivores.com/resources/ne ... ive-guide/). Grac is 0-1,100m (daytime temps as high as 85-95 and as low as 73-84, night temps as high as 68-79 and as low as 57-68). Ampul is even wider at 0-2,200m (daytime temps as high as 85-95 and as low as 66-77, night temps as high as 68-79 and as low as 50-61). That doesn't mean that either can't learn to adapt to different temps.

So, just using the baseline, overall any daytime temp between 66 and 95, and nighttime temps between 50 and 68 could be suitable for either species.

There are variations within each species as well. Some may prefer the lower end, while others prefer the higher end. Not that either of these are standard or normal, just that there is some variation. There are some hamatas that grow in household temps with low humidity, even though they are highlanders that generally do not prefer those temps. Hybrids also often have much wider ranges.

If your plants are doing fine, awesome. But it doesn't mean it's the only condition that those plants, or that species, can thrive in.
Rain

Predicting up to 1-3” of rain from now(Fri 7[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

They arrived today! YAY! will get them planted out[…]

Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

I'd heard rumors around the forums that TJ's has s[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, Just wanted to see some photos of your Di[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!