FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By Greenleaf_999
I don't think my plants are enjoying acclimation at all. I just switched to an old fluorescent fixture just to see if it helps at all. the LEDs I have been using haven't been doing too great. I came home from work and most leaves were dead under the lights I had them under, so I trimmed them up, I've seen fly traps come back from nothing, so I have no doubts. Fluorescent lighting has been my best bet for revival, I'm trying to over winter my plants due to the fact I'm on the Gulf Coast by Texas and that means one day it's cold then the other is warm. So now I'm waiting, patience is key. This light is quite bright to say the least. Hoping it makes a full recovery...ImageImage

Sent from my moto g play - 2023 using Tapatalk

By ChefDean
If you're on the gulf coast, then I'm betting it's staying above freezing. Put them outside to get direct, unfiltered sunlight.
I'm not an expert on artificial light, but brightness of the light is only a small slice of the pie. It needs to emit other qualities as well to be effective.
By Greenleaf_999
ChefDean wrote:If you're on the gulf coast, then I'm betting it's staying above freezing. Put them outside to get direct, unfiltered sunlight.
I'm not an expert on artificial light, but brightness of the light is only a small slice of the pie. It needs to emit other qualities as well to be effective.
Hey, it's not possible. We have bad spider mite infestations all year round on our plants outdoors. It isn't easy to keep them outdoors. I lost a whole collection of my cultivars last year because I put them outside. The Webbing is insane from those pests. We spray them with Bayer 3in1 and they come back every month. They are impossible to get rid of. Indoors is my only option at this current time, I wish I could grow them outdoors again... It's not the same. I was hoping it would be different knowing that I moved to another location. I pretty much traded one problem (heat) for another (pests)

Anyways thank you chefdean!

By ChefDean
3 in 1 is a miticide pretty much in name only, Avid is a much more effective one.
However, fight fire with fire and get some predatory mites from naturesgoodguys.com . 1K of their blend of mites was something like $13 plus shipping. If you have a constant spider mite problem, then the predatory mites have a constant food supply.
I get spider mites every year in Tennessee, and I hit my plants with these in late summer to get the spider mites before dormancy.
andynorth liked this
By Greenleaf_999
ChefDean wrote:3 in 1 is a miticide pretty much in name only, Avid is a much more effective one.
However, fight fire with fire and get some predatory mites from naturesgoodguys.com . 1K of their blend of mites was something like $13 plus shipping. If you have a constant spider mite problem, then the predatory mites have a constant food supply.
I get spider mites every year in Tennessee, and I hit my plants with these in late summer to get the spider mites before dormancy.
Lol nice. That actually sounds fun to watch them slowly come to their defeat. Spider mites are horrible.

By Greenleaf_999
UPDATE:

This morning the plants are showing signs of recovery. The typical has some new divisions coming in upon discovery. All of my house plants and garden plants are loving this fixture too, tons of new growth, and some other plants are coloring up quite fast, the fixture has some kind of led tube that I know I'm going to have to replace eventually. Not too sure on what Kelvin range the light is. But I'm going to guess either 3500k or 4000k it isn't as blueish like 6500k. The typical has some colors forming on the outside of the trap too. I flushed the pot out last night with RO water to make sure it clears out any salts, I went through a whole thing of RO water to make sure the soil was clean enough, the water container is 1/2 gallons. I use Ro water for every plant under that light, regular tap water reads 500ppm, not worth killing my plants over, the RO water reads 19-25 ppm, very well considering how much salt there is in the tap. The lights are on from 7am to 1 am midnight, 18 hours of light.

wcrosman liked this
Rain

Predicting up to 1-3” of rain from now(Fri 7[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

They arrived today! YAY! will get them planted out[…]

Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

I'd heard rumors around the forums that TJ's has s[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, Just wanted to see some photos of your Di[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!