FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Announcements, as well as comments and suggestions about the FlytrapCare Forum itself. For all Forum members.

Moderator: Matt

By Fuggle
Hi,
Is it worth me buying plants in the winter (I live in a flat with no garden), or is it best to wait until spring?
By andynorth
Call me crazy, but it seems I am getting better deals right now than I was back in the summer. I have a greenhouse and a grow tent I use for germinating. My new plants have been going under filtered light in the greenhouse and then outside to get a little of the wintering they need to adjust a wee bit before I put them in garage for dormancy. I guess I will know more in the spring but I honestly do not think it is going to be an issue. If it is, I will have several hundred dollars worth of dead plants.
By Intheswamp
@Fuggle, I'm not a big plant buyer, but last fall I bought two of Cal Carn's mystery no-name sarrs. They came to me bare roots and already with their winter haircut. I planted them and stuck them in the "cold room" for dormancy. This past spring they busted loose and grew to be over 1-1/2' tall (maybe taller?). They were like $5 each. I would think that right now sellers are wanting to reduce inventory so that they don't have to carry them over the winter (and maybe turn some extra plants into Christmas money, too! :D )...so they reduce the price and make it attractive so that people will buy them and take the risk of overwintering the plants. But, the risk is really minimal if you have a basic understanding of the care that the plants need during this time. Living in a limited space area I would imagine you have limited space for your plants so don't overload yourself just because something is a deal. Also, remember that flytraps, sarrs, some drosera, and other plants do need a dormancy period...how will you provide that?....bagged and inside a refrigerator? Lots of angles to consider. But...deals can be had...just be sure the deal is something you want. ;)
andynorth liked this
By evenwind
As ITS said, it's a good season to get deals. Since you live in a flat, I'm guessing you're sticking to smaller-growing plants? If you stick to sub-tropical drosera and Mexican pings, then the main reason not to buy them is possible frigid temps during in transit. If the temps during transit stay north of 45F or so, then I'd say look for bargains.
andynorth, Intheswamp, MikeB liked this
By andynorth
I have been buying from an eBay seller that wants to retire and is tired of listing on eBay. I am still trying to pot up the first batch. They were packaged very well so there was no worry about them going from the warm weather in North Carolina to the quite cooler weather here in Western Washington. I am about to close the deal on the next batch that he has ready for me and I am trusting that packaging will be the same.
By Intheswamp
@Fuggle, meteorite hit you? :?
Fuggle wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 5:03 pm Hi,
Is it worth me buying plants in the winter (I live in a flat with no garden), or is it best to wait until spring?
By Intheswamp
Be cool guys. It *does happen*. :mrgreen:
andynorth liked this

Last time I sent a SASE to myself, it took a week […]

Rain

Predicting up to 1-3” of rain from now(Fri 7[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

They arrived today! YAY! will get them planted out[…]

Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

I'd heard rumors around the forums that TJ's has s[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!