FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Jackhw220
ChefDean wrote:It'll probably stay green because color change is not necessarily an indicator of dormancy. What are your weather conditions outside?
Every day is below 5 Celsius and is rainy or sunny

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By ChefDean
If it's above freezing, put it outside so that those conditions can naturally put it to sleep rather than force it. Maybe protect it from hard rain so it doesn't wash the media out. Once the temps look like they're going to drop below 0°C at night, then put it away until spring.
wcrosman, MikeB, andynorth liked this
By Jackhw220
ChefDean wrote:If it's above freezing, put it outside so that those conditions can naturally put it to sleep rather than force it. Maybe protect it from hard rain so it doesn't wash the media out. Once the temps look like they're going to drop below 0°C at night, then put it away until spring.
The temps here are really weird they will be about 0 Celsius one week then the next week they will be about 10 Celsius then most nights it’s about 1-2 Celsius but my garage stays about 2 Celsius all the time

By ChefDean
As long as they stay at ~0°C or above, maybe even -1°C, they should be fine. If you put them in the garage now, they'll likely go dormant just fine.
wcrosman liked this
By MikeB
Jackhw220 wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 9:51 pm The temps here are really weird they will be about 0 Celsius one week then the next week they will be about 10 Celsius then most nights it’s about 1-2 Celsius but my garage stays about 2 Celsius all the time
I live just 65 kilometers west of the Venus flytrap's native range. The temperature here seesaws back and forth like that, too.

If you want to see what the wild plants are experiencing, here is the weather forecast for Wilmington, North Carolina from a local TV station. Click on °C next to the current temperature to change from Fahrenheit to Celsius, then click on 10-DAY to see the forecast.
By Gary
My VFTs and Sarrs seem to be affected more by photoperiod than temps. The early Oct temps here in central AZ were 80s/60s but less direct light light was hitting the plants due to the deck getting more shadow. All the classic signs of dormancy appeared way before the nighttime temps got to the 30s. They're all in the garage now (temps 40s-50s) and most of the VFTs still have a lot of green leaves, though every week a few traps turn black and get trimmed off.
By alecStewart1
Fridging and putting temperate plants in a garage or basement is a way to protect plants from outside cold temperature extremes as much as it's a way to initiate dormancy.

Texas weather is fickle, especially where I am, so I put them in a fridge or garage it protect them for the spats of freezing weather or windchill that we have from November to March. It's actually snowed here in early March a few times.

A lot of people have kept their VFTs this way, so you should be fine. I would just make sure you're checking for mold every now and then.
By Jackhw220
alecStewart1 wrote:Fridging and putting temperate plants in a garage or basement is a way to protect plants from outside cold temperature extremes as much as it's a way to initiate dormancy.

Texas weather is fickle, especially where I am, so I put them in a fridge or garage it protect them for the spats of freezing weather or windchill that we have from November to March. It's actually snowed here in early March a few times.

A lot of people have kept their VFTs this way, so you should be fine. I would just make sure you're checking for mold every now and then.
The plant is still a vibrant green but has stopped growth for the last 2 weeks and no traps have opened up that had flies in them so it should be dormant am I right ?

By Jackhw220
alecStewart1 wrote:Fridging and putting temperate plants in a garage or basement is a way to protect plants from outside cold temperature extremes as much as it's a way to initiate dormancy.

The plant is still a vibrant green but has stopped growth for the last 2 weeks and no traps have opened up that had flies in them so it should be dormant am I right ? The vft has started to get little black patches on the leaves does this also help indicate it

Received. Thanks!

They arrived! thank you! :D

Just saw this https://lifehacker.com/home/how-to-g[…]

Thanks. Yeah I’ve been trying to find a loca[…]

Thanks guys I’ll cut it. I haven’t got[…]

RO Buddy Reviews

Yes, you can use it for other plants that aren't s[…]

I don't do FB but I believe I may have seen this. […]

Thanks all. The only place I didn’t think […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!