FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Anzenix
So.. I'm still trying to figure out a few things here. I recently acquired a few plants and needed to pot them but I feel like the media is kind off somehow. I have three groups, the first group was sold to me potted and I haven't seen or had any issues. The second group I did a ratio of 3:1 peat to perlite and the third group was closer to 1.5:1 peat to perlite. However, the third group takes awhile to drain despite having more perlite, and the second group does decently but neither compare to the first group. Is this a cause for concern? Should I change the media again or leave it as is? My thought is, I packed down the mix in group 3, far more than group two. Not sure if that is something I needed to do or not for Sarrs., bare-root rhizomes. Sorry if I sound ignorant in these matters lol
By andynorth
I would find a mix that works for you and stick with it. If you can figure out what was used in the first mix and it works, go with that. I stopped using perlite and now use a mix of 1:1 LFSM and peat. So far so good as my Sarrs and Drosera seem to love it. I use straight LFSM for my VFT's and they really like that.
By MikeB
Sarracenia aren't very picky about the soil mix. I've seen them growing in pure peat moss, pure LFS, and assorted mixes with perlite, sand, or milled pine bark. I prefer a mix with a decent amount of drainage so the water flow can pull oxygen down to the roots. My standard soil is a 3:1:1 mix of peat moss, perlite, and coarse sand. None of my plants have any complaints about it.
Anzenix liked this
By Anzenix
I suppose its the flow rate that concerns me and the possibility of developing anaerobic bacteria due to the poor airation. Ill keep an eye out buts its hard to tell if they are doing well or not, because I cant yet tell if its dormancy or if the plant is doing poorly and dying as a result.
By steve booth
The soil will only go anaerobic if its standing in water, which as it's going dormant, it probably isn't, so should be OK.
As MikeB says they will stand a very broad mix of substrates, I grow them in pure live Sphagnum, peat/perlite mixes from 40-60 to 1, pure peat and peat and pine bark, and they all do well.
They do not like the soil compacted hard though, as that stops oxygen from the air and top watering to the roots, and do appreciate a repotting once the soil gets 'tired'. the time for which will vary on pot size, or bog size, and general conditions.
Cheers
Steve
Anzenix, MikeB liked this
By Anzenix
Alright sounds good, thank you all for the advice! I will keep an eye out for the plants but I feel a bit better about it.

They arrived! thank you! :D

Just saw this https://lifehacker.com/home/how-to-g[…]

Thanks. Yeah I’ve been trying to find a loca[…]

Thanks guys I’ll cut it. I haven’t got[…]

RO Buddy Reviews

Yes, you can use it for other plants that aren't s[…]

I don't do FB but I believe I may have seen this. […]

Thanks all. The only place I didn’t think […]

I personally don't like the term "typical&q[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!