FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about fluorescent, LED and other types of grow lighting for Venus Flytraps and other plants

Moderator: Matt

By andynorth
I am looking f1or a reccomendation for an 18 to 24binch light for my new grow tent. The tent is 24"x24"x48". I want to use it for germinating and starts at certain stages of growth. I currently have a Mars Hydro 200W light that will be at the top of the tent. This light provides plenty of light/heat to keep the entire tent at whichever temp I want. I was looking on Amazon and there are a whole slew of choices for the size I want. I want to be able to mount them under each of 3 -13" wide shelves .
By Lilyofthevalley9
Depends on your budget. I used a gardeners supply 24 inch led 6500k bulbs (x4) in a 4 bulb ballast. Yescom 225 are decent budget wise but nothing like a mars hydro.

I recommend spider farmer l
By Lilyofthevalley9
Depends on your budget. I used a gardeners supply 24 inch led 6500k bulbs (x4) in a 4 bulb ballast. Yescom 225 are decent budget wise but nothing like a mars hydro.

I recommend spider farmer lli
By Intheswamp
I've been impressed with my Viparspectra XS1000...it's just a 100w light but BRIGHT. Full-spectrum, fanless, dimmer, nice hanging gear (don't think you'll need it in the tent, though). I can't remember who it was that came on the forum a while back and was looking at a couple of different lights and their pros and cons. This particular light was spoken of highly in regards to parts and build quality. I returned a Mars Hydro and ordered this one...I've been very pleased with it. The driver does run a little hot (the Mars Hydro was hotter) so I don't know whether it would work for you or not. I'm thinking the driver can be removed from the light, but the cord connecting it is extremely short...I don't know if they ever came out with an extension cord for it. They also make one that is twice as long as this one....something like 24x11 inches. Btw, Amazon has a pretty good sale going on these right now. Here's a review on the XS1000: https://peppergeek.com/viparspectra-xs1000-grow-light/

ETA: If you're electrically inclined you *could* make your own extension cord...or modify the existing cord. Just sayin'... ;)
By andynorth
I guess I should have mentioned I needto keep the price down dueto needing at least 4. I can get the Vivosun Smart 100W with fan for $89.00 rigt now. I currently have 2 Vivosun Smart foldup 200W that I picked up on sale for $139.00. Then I have the Mars Hydro 200W. I guess I just need something basic to mount under each rack as I plan to use seedling mats under the grow trays. Some 18-24 inch flourescent style lights should do the trick if anyone knows of decent ones that wont break the bank. Amazon has some promising options so will check there and post here for advice. I am not dissing anyones reccomendations. I like them all and would buy the Spiders if I could afford but my plant buying has my budget very dwindled down. Thanks for the help all.
By Intheswamp
I don’t know if one’s any better than the other. Flip a coin? :lol: It seems to me that the flat panel lights would be more space efficient, but the tube lights should work fine if you have plenty of room. The ones you show and the ones I show neither show much technical information but the garage lights I use on one shelf don’t give much data and they work good. I raised nice vegetable seedlings for several years with a simple mix of warm and cool white fluorescent tubes. Any of these lights should meet the wavelengths the seedlings need so as long as the power is good enough the seedlings should be okay. I think. ;)
andynorth liked this

Last time I sent a SASE to myself, it took a week […]

Rain

Predicting up to 1-3” of rain from now(Fri 7[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

They arrived today! YAY! will get them planted out[…]

Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

I'd heard rumors around the forums that TJ's has s[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!