FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions on how to propagate your plants sexually and asexually, by seed, natural division or leaf pulling

Moderator: Matt

By htbm
Among my four containers I've got two that are "Mixed Carnivorous Bog Plants" (which includes Droseras, package split between two); one that is "Mixed Sarracenia + Mixed Drosera" (two different "mixed" packages, themselves mixed in the one pot, 'cause why not); and one that is supposed to be a split--one half is Intermedia and the other is Filiformis. At least I am pretty damn sure I split them instead of mixing them.

Many of them are up to 3-4 carnivorous leaves now, some a fair bit larger than others... but they all more or less look the same to me: a thin petiole sorta part without hairs and a roundish part with hairs. These (pictured) are supposedly Filiformis on this side of the container; Intermedia (not pictured) on the other. I used a tag as a separator and two others as pointers to label each side. I don't *think* I decided to mix these seeds or I would not have put in the separator. These are the largest specimens out of all the containers and the others are a bit too small yet for me to photograph, but I can examine them with a lighted jeweler's loupe.

All them in all the containers (including the few sprouts on the Filiformis side) so far pretty much have leaves that look just like these, only some are smaller/fewer leaves yet and some are redder/red. If I didn't have reason to think otherwise I'd think they were all the same species (and one that is not Filiformis). Is it really just still too soon? Thanks
Attachments:
IMG_E0422.JPG
IMG_E0422.JPG (2.45 MiB) Viewed 946 times
By andynorth
I learned the hard way about buying seeds on Amazon or any other place thatis an "unknown" source. Always buy from trusted sources. That said, I would let them continue to grow. A lot of Drosers look similar to each other when first sprouting. Sarrs, on the other hand should be fairly visible in that they start growing a "baby" sprout resembling a pitcher plant. I will seeif I can get a pic unless someone beats me to it.
By htbm
The Mixed Sarrs and Mixed Bog Plants came from Carnivorous Plant Nursery. Everything else is from the seed bank here. Many of the sarrs sprouts have started growing their 1st true pitcher, although I expect it'll be some time yet before they're big enough to distinguish too. This is the biggest of the sprouts currently [sadly also in one of the containers with the more aggressive mold]. I'm less concerned with identifying Sarrs at this point since they're all mixed and so all unknowns to begin with, whereas at least some of the Droseras should be known species but currently are all indistinguishable to me.
Attachments:
IMG_0423.JPG
IMG_0423.JPG (1.66 MiB) Viewed 893 times
By htbm
Well sure, but I was looking for something a bit more measurable milestone-wise. Like "by the time they're about X mm" or "by about the Nth true carnivorous leaf" they'll start to take on characteristics of the adult plants, e.g. Filiformis will look more thread-like and less paddle-like, assuming those are indeed Filiformis pictured.
By ChefDean
htbm wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 7:57 am Well sure, but I was looking for something a bit more measurable milestone-wise. Like "by the time they're about X mm" or "by about the Nth true carnivorous leaf" they'll start to take on characteristics of the adult plants,...
If each plant progressed the exact same; seed, germination, A to B to C, etc., one could say you'll be able to tell at this point or by this stage, but they don't. Some plants will be able to be distinguished very quickly, filiformis for example. Capensis can often be figured out after a few carnivorous leaves due to their elongated paddle. Others can be well into the juvenile stage, if not mature and flowering stage, before identification because so many look very similar.
You'll likely just have to have patience, young Grasshopper, and wait until they grow up more before a positive ID can be made, or even attempted.
andynorth liked this
Rain

Predicting up to 1-3” of rain from now(Fri 7[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

They arrived today! YAY! will get them planted out[…]

Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

I'd heard rumors around the forums that TJ's has s[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, Just wanted to see some photos of your Di[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!