FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Pinguicula care here

Moderator: Matt

By FriskyBiscuit
How much light would you say Mexican Pinguicula need, especially for getting them to change their colors? Have ehlersiae "Cotton Candy" and a "Lilac Lollipop"
I had mine with my Cephalotus originally (300+ ppfd) but seemed that it was too much light as they looked like the edges were getting crispy 😨 would putting them with my Nepenthes provide enough you think for a color change? I use Carnivero ppfd recommendations and the photone app for some kind of reference but wanted to double check here.

Currently using two 1" Barrina T5 LED's and the photone app says it's about 120 ppfd

Side note: the lilac lollipop cake in looking rough and don't think it will make it, a replacement is on the way thankfully
Attachments:
20231109_075256.jpg
20231109_075256.jpg (1.99 MiB) Viewed 836 times
20231103_223836.jpg
20231103_223836.jpg (2.12 MiB) Viewed 836 times
20231103_224152.jpg
20231103_224152.jpg (2.14 MiB) Viewed 836 times
By FriskyBiscuit
andynorth wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 2:16 am I do not grow pings so therefore I know little about them. However, if it were me I would bag that little gal up to see if I could save it.
I'll give it a shot! Honestly wouldn't hurt to try, I didn't wanna give up on her yet. She's holding on for dear life
andynorth liked this
By alecStewart1
A few things:

Are they all still growing leaves?

If it's one of the cooler seasons where you are, pings are going to start growing smaller leaves that are more tucked into the plant. During this time you should hold off on watering. Let the substrate the pot get a little more on the drier side before you water again.

If you can, peek at the area where the leaves originate. If it's brown, well, my condolences. It's browning heart. If it's not brown or browning, you should be okay. I don't know where you grow these plants, but make sure there's some degree of airflow. There doesn't have to be a fan blowing on the plants, but the air can't be stagnate.

While it's not a huge deal, the plants look covered in the substrate. Most pings just need to have their roots in a smidge in the substrate. In nature Mexican/Tropical pings are lithophytes; plants that grow in or on rocks. They're roots just grip onto the top of the rock(s) or in any cracks in the rock(s).

Here's a few articles/videos from the people at Curious Plant that could be useful:

https://curiousplant.com/butterwort-care/
https://curiousplant.com/butterwort-succulent-phase/
FriskyBiscuit liked this
By FriskyBiscuit
alecStewart1 wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 8:44 pm A few things:

Are they all still growing leaves?

If it's one of the cooler seasons where you are, pings are going to start growing smaller leaves that are more tucked into the plant. During this time you should hold off on watering. Let the substrate the pot get a little more on the drier side before you water again.

If you can, peek at the area where the leaves originate. If it's brown, well, my condolences. It's browning heart. If it's not brown or browning, you should be okay. I don't know where you grow these plants, but make sure there's some degree of airflow. There doesn't have to be a fan blowing on the plants, but the air can't be stagnate.

While it's not a huge deal, the plants look covered in the substrate. Most pings just need to have their roots in a smidge in the substrate. In nature Mexican/Tropical pings are lithophytes; plants that grow in or on rocks. They're roots just grip onto the top of the rock(s) or in any cracks in the rock(s).

Here's a few articles/videos from the people at Curious Plant that could be useful:

https://curiousplant.com/butterwort-care/
https://curiousplant.com/butterwort-succulent-phase/
Thanks for the info and commenting! It's been about two or three weeks now and it's actually made a recovery! It's still small but was a pleasant surprise :) I think the shipping was just very rough on it then. I've moved them to a more intense light now and they've been liking it, cotton candy has started turning pink.

Honestly watering has become tricky, I've gotten conflicting opinions from people who've seen them lately. Since they aren't going dormant yet I've kept them in water almost all the time with the tray method because it's what I read but now I've been told not to do that so 🤷🏻 I'm taking it slow and seeing how they continue to adjust. They don't seem to mind the constant water, overhead isn't any option due to the media it will just drain away

Also the media on them was due to the shipping and wasn't sure how to remove it. I've since used a q tip and brushed it off of them lol
Attachments:
20231120_122829.jpg
20231120_122829.jpg (1.51 MiB) Viewed 683 times
20231121_185250.jpg
20231121_185250.jpg (1.95 MiB) Viewed 683 times
Rain

Predicting up to 1-3” of rain from now(Fri 7[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

They arrived today! YAY! will get them planted out[…]

Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

I'd heard rumors around the forums that TJ's has s[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, Just wanted to see some photos of your Di[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!