FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss all micropropagation related topics here.

Moderator: Matt

By andynorth
Has anyone ever tested to see if it is better to use Distilled water, Rain water or Zero water when clipping leaves, flower stalks, etc. to try and propagate plants?
Last edited by andynorth on Sun Nov 12, 2023 2:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
By wcrosman
Add zero water filtered water to that list. I use it for all my carnivores. Curious as well whats bests. Have had success with sundews but thats all I have tried.
andynorth liked this
By elaineo
If TDS is zero, it should all be the same. as long as it's changed frequently :)

(i guess if you have superhuman skillz like @Hollyhock, you don't even need to change it at all)
By Intheswamp
elaineo wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 8:03 pm If TDS is zero, it should all be the same. as long as it's changed frequently :)

(i guess if you have superhuman skillz like @Hollyhock, you don't even need to change it at all)
But, it's really not the same if both have the same TDS. My rain water comes in at 1 to 2 ppm regularly *but* it's acidic (which goes good with carnivorous plants' environment. Whereas I believe distilled water would have a neutral pH. From what I understand, Zero filters will not change the pH of the water it filters...so it will be the same as whatever you put in...high pH tap water would still be high and acidic rain water would still be acidic. Then you throw in the element of mold/mildew/algae/etc spores or whatever in rainwater and that could be a negative for it. Possibly the best water would be rain water ran through a Zero pitcher...pH would be acidic but offensive spores would be removed and the TDS would be minimal. Ok, I'll take the OCD-Me hat off now. :mrgreen:
andynorth liked this

Last time I sent a SASE to myself, it took a week […]

Rain

Predicting up to 1-3” of rain from now(Fri 7[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

They arrived today! YAY! will get them planted out[…]

Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

I'd heard rumors around the forums that TJ's has s[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!