FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about fluorescent, LED and other types of grow lighting for Venus Flytraps and other plants

Moderator: Matt

By andynorth
So years ago I had read that using artificial light at night to simulate the moon helps in plants growth and overall health. So is there any advantage in having the Blurple lights on at night and using my regular lights during the day?
By Intheswamp
It seems the plants would never get a chance to "rest". Even though the blurple light seems "moonish" and dim, the plants will still be getting the wavelengths they need for active growth. Maybe if you dimmed them down to like 5% power it might work...I dunno. :|
By andynorth
Intheswamp wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 5:13 pm It seems the plants would never get a chance to "rest". Even though the blurple light seems "moonish" and dim, the plants will still be getting the wavelengths they need for active growth. Maybe if you dimmed them down to like 5% power it might work...I dunno. :|
The Blurple lights or my normal lights? The Blurple lights I have do not have an adjustment on them.
By Intheswamp
If the blurple lights don't have a dimmer then you would be giving them full light at night. You asked about using your blurple lights at night. ;)

I've read that the much dimmer moon light *might* have a little more infrared spectrum to it than direct sunlight does. You could try the white lights dimmed down greatly, or if you had a small infrared light you could try that. Infrared security camera light: https://www.walmart.com/ip/48-LED-Illum ... lsrc=aw.ds
By andynorth
Intheswamp wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 5:46 pm If the blurple lights don't have a dimmer then you would be giving them full light at night. You asked about using your blurple lights at night. ;)

I've read that the much dimmer moon light *might* have a little more infrared spectrum to it than direct sunlight does. You could try the white lights dimmed down greatly, or if you had a small infrared light you could try that. Infrared security camera light: https://www.walmart.com/ip/48-LED-Illum ... lsrc=aw.ds
Yes, I did ask about using Blurple at night as I was not sure about them. I bought them but within a couple of weeks I switched to a greenhouse and Vivosun light for most of my plants and a Mars Hydro for my germinating tent. I think I will contact Vivosun and ask if running at 5% or less would simulate moon light. Many years ago they use to sell fluorescent bulbs that simulated moon light.
I believe I have one of the IR light extenders some where. I use to sell/install CCTV equipment so pretty sure I can find one lying around somewhere. Thanks for the tip.
By andynorth
elaineo wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 7:56 pm
andynorth wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 6:20 pm I use to sell/install CCTV equipment so pretty sure I can find one lying around somewhere. Thanks for the tip.
Question, if you have an opinion: should I get Reolink or Wyze for outdoor critter control?
I have never used either but I have heard great things about the Wyze System. However, depending upon the "critters" you are trying to control, something like the below alarm might be a better option. I used a similar one when the squirrels were attacking my plants, until I decided to cover everything with a cage. That works so much better and does not annoy the neighbors :D :D :D .

https://www.amazon.com/HULPPRE-Solar-Al ... B0CL912H72
Last edited by andynorth on Sun Nov 12, 2023 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Last time I sent a SASE to myself, it took a week […]

Rain

Predicting up to 1-3” of rain from now(Fri 7[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

They arrived today! YAY! will get them planted out[…]

Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

I'd heard rumors around the forums that TJ's has s[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!