FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss non-carnivorous plants here

Moderator: Matt

By Camden
Got this guy at garden center near where I live. Can’t believe I found one in bloom! Is anyone experienced with air plant pollination? Would love to spread the fun of air plants around.
Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg (2.2 MiB) Viewed 2778 times
ChefDean liked this
By DragonsEye
Very cool! I'll look forward to seeing the blooms. Btw, if you are unfamiliar with tillie blooms, flowers tend to be short-lived ... often just a day or 2 with many species. I don't think there is any special technique for pollinating the flowers-- anthers and stigma are pretty obvious and easily accessed as I recall.

Can't recall for certain if it was this particular species (though I strongly believe it was) or a closely related species that I lost last year. And I do mean "lost" in the literal sense of the word.... Had it hanging on a balcony plantstand. One day, while at work, we had some high winds. Never found it
Camden liked this
By Camden
Thanks, Do you know if they are receptive at the same time btw? I would hate to miss that period.
Im sorry to hear about that, It’s tough losing plants in both senses of the word.
By DragonsEye
Camden wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 8:46 pm Thanks, Do you know if they are receptive at the same time btw? I would hate to miss that period.
I'm not sure but I think they are.
Camden liked this
By madrone
I never tried to pollinate a xerographica (although that would be totally cool), but I had a butzii that selfed without any interference on my part. So, it may not be that hard to self-pollinate (or get assistance doing so) - but of course that can be very species dependent. I planted a few butzii seeds, and a few of the baby plants survived. Low survival was probably mostly my own doing, but it's slow going. I can only imagine a xerographica would take some time (but it would be a very fun journey!). In my case, it was just for fun. I still have the pups from the mother plant - their 'siblings' from the pod of the mother are super teeny in comparison.

I'm not sure that it will for sure happen, and maybe more knowledgeable folks will chime in, but I thought flowering and bringing the seeds to fruition pretty much ends the mother plant. It did in my case, but curious if folks have had other experiences. For my butzii- two pups were produced, plus viable seeds, so you'll get a lovely new xerographica again, it might just take some time.
By DragonsEye
madrone wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 5:25 am I'm not sure that it will for sure happen, and maybe more knowledgeable folks will chime in, but I thought flowering and bringing the seeds to fruition pretty much ends the mother plant. It did in my case, but curious if folks have had other experiences. For my butzii- two pups were produced, plus viable seeds, so you'll get a lovely new xerographica again, it might just take some time.
It is typical with Bromeliads for the mother plant to die after flowering. I don't know of any exceptions to that "rule". However, death isn't immediate. As you noticed with your butzii, the mother plant usually produces one or more pups before dying. No reason not to expect the xero. to do the same. Hopefully, Camden, you'll have successful pollination and several pups before momma expires.
Camden liked this
By madrone
DragonsEye wrote:the mother plant usually produces one or more pups before dying
Thank you for confirming - I thought I had read that somewhere when I went on a bit of an air plant spree years ago. Sadly, xerographica was one (of more than I care to admit) that did not thrive long term. I also wish Camden the best! I now know where I need to improve my culture and hope that a xero of my own will be happy in my care at some future date!
Camden liked this
By DragonsEye
madrone wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 3:48 pm Sadly, xerographica was one (of more than I care to admit) that did not thrive long term.
Xero was pretty easy for me. I wonder if you tried to baby yours? Before mine got blown away (quite literally), it resided in a wire hanger "cage". Dunked it or misted it now and then, but otherwise it had to deal with whatever humidity was present. During the summer, while outside, it experienced medium to high RH. During the winter, it dealt with my typical RH of around 15%.
By Camden
Bam! And it’s in bloom! Each does only last about a day. Very cute little blooms.
Attachments:
IMG_2768.jpeg
IMG_2768.jpeg (1.03 MiB) Viewed 2264 times
IMG_2774.jpeg
IMG_2774.jpeg (1.28 MiB) Viewed 2264 times
IMG_2773.jpeg
IMG_2773.jpeg (1.38 MiB) Viewed 2264 times
Rain

Predicting up to 1-3” of rain from now(Fri 7[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

They arrived today! YAY! will get them planted out[…]

Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

I'd heard rumors around the forums that TJ's has s[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, Just wanted to see some photos of your Di[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!